Case Study using the Design Process

This case study has been created to show and follow through the steps that I took when creating a social app. The steps used are as follows: Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, and Test. These steps are crucial in creating the best User Centered Experience and topping it off with a clean, easy-on-the-eyes interface. Let’s begin!!

Overview of the App

Gather is a social meetup app that allows its users to create a profile and specify their likes and general location. They will then be able to view and friend individuals that they know and or would like to get to know through activity.

Some of the main features within the Gather App are as follows: Friending, Discovering Events/Activities, Following Hashtags, Following Groups, Liking/Interested, and Messaging. The problem that we are trying to solve with this app is to connect individuals with others that share similar things without tapping into your typical “dating app.”


Empathize

In order to properly empathize with the user we need to establish and “get to know” our Target User’s. In doing this we tentatively set the parameters of our Target User’s being individuals ages 18–40, that are obviously interested in meeting other people with similar hobbies or likes. To better EMPATHIZE we decided to create a User Persona to help us get into the mindset of a user that would interact with our app. It just so happened that the user happened to be a past roommate, so we were able to do a lot of “pre” research in regards to whether he thought the app would be a good idea and also the different features he would like to see in an app of this nature.

User Persona

Define

In the define stage there was a lot of defining the scope of the app. There are/were a thousand different ways to create this app, but we needed to put some boundaries and keep it within the scope and what we were really trying to get out of the creation of the app. After what we will call “brainstorming” our scope/problem came down to this:

“Create a social app that allows individuals to connect based on similar likes, connections, and events/activities.”

With our problem now defined, we set out the best way to create, design, and test the app.


Ideate

Journey map
Wireframes
Surface Comps

Above is a culmination of the thought process transferred to visual comps. Obviously they weren’t pulled out of nowhere. The journey map was created to nail down the navigation or process that a user could/will go through. Then we laid out how we wanted the on-boarding and feature screens as wireframes to make sure there was a call to action on almost every screen to prompt the user. Then the hi-fidelity comps were created after the functionality was completed.

Prototype

Having created the comps, we used Invision to create our prototype and proceeded to conduct our user testing.


Testing

I chose two test user’s; one male and one female. The two tasks that I had them complete were to view another user’s profile. And the other was to edit their own profile page.

After conducting the two prototype tests, both users were able to navigate and complete both task I had them complete with ease. I feel they were able to do this because of the familiarity of icons and other app similarities. But the test was a success therefore I did not make any changes as far as usability/navigation.