#BigParentingIdea — 25 Better Questions Than ‘What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?’
- What interesting things would you like to work on?
- Are there things you would be willing to do even if nobody would pay you for doing them?
- What are the jobs that don’t require humans any more?
- What jobs / professions will become obsolete soon and why?
- Is the number/ menu of jobs/ professions fixed or in constant flux?
- Can people change careers or do they have to do the job they have chosen as young adults for the rest of their lives?
- Can people choose not to retire?
- Should people know exactly what they want to be when they grow up / choose from a list of available jobs or can they invent a job for themselves (and others)?
- Should people use their unique talents at work?
- Should we stop learning when we are out of school?
- Can we choose to work on something that is so far in the future that we’ll see the results no sooner than in 20 years? (or might not see them at all)
- What should work give us?
- Why do other people value our work?
- Why would other people want to pay for our work?
- Is money the only thing that matters when we think about work? What are some other things that matter?
- If you were to describe your perfect job what would it look like?
- If you could invent your job and nothing would limit you what would you come up with?
- If you could take any of the existing jobs and combine them so that you would come up with something that would look like a good fit for you, what would it be?
- If you could take any existing job and change it to your liking, what would you come up with?
- Do you think you have any talents? What are they?
- If you could combine some of your talents into something you could do in your life, what would you come up with?
- If you were to describe your perfect day at work, what would it look like?
- What does it mean to be successful?
- What does it take to be successful?
- What would a good life look like to you?
Thanks for reading! If you liked this article, here’s more.
Writing is my oxygen. I write every day. About parenting, career life and the challenges of being a young adult.
Each day I share my musings on my blog http://mygame.typepad.com.
You might consider subscribing to my newsletter which goes out once each day. In it you’ll receive my newest posts. No spam guaranteed. Promise!
You can also subscribe to my Medium Publications and receive an e-mail each time I publish a new story. Here they are:
I appreciate every second you spend reading my stuff!