2020–2021 Student Academic Calendar Options
Parent and Staff Feedback Requested
Parent, staff, and public feedback is requested on the two options under consideration for adoption as RISD’s 2020–2021 Student Academic Calendar. (Please note that RISD’s 2019–2020 Student Academic Calendar was adopted last year, with the 2019–20 school year set to begin on August 15.)
The options were reviewed and selected by a calendar committee of RISD parents and staff members after initial evaluation of eight calendar options. In addition, the District Planning Committee of parents, community members and staff members reviewed both final calendar options.
Both options share similar elements based on requirements and considerations, including:
- Emphasis on balance of instructional days between the first and second semesters
- Ensuring enough instructional days in the first semester for semester-only classes
- Compliance with Fine Arts/Athletics UIL practice guidelines and schedules
- Instructional minutes reserved for potential inclement weather
- State STAAR/EOC Testing schedules
- Spring Break 2021 is aligned with Dallas County Community College District schedule due to large number of RISD students taking dual credit courses that utilize DCCCD services
- Statutory requirements under Texas Education Code
The school year in both options would begin on August 19, 2020 and conclude on May 28, 2021.
The major differences include:
- Calendar Option A begins the second semester for students on Tuesday, January 5, with Monday, January 4 being a staff development day for teachers.
- Calendar Option B begins the second semester for both students and teachers on Monday, January 4, with the January staff development day/student holiday occurring on Tuesday, January 19, which is the day after the Martin Luther King Day holiday.
To provide feedback on the 2020–2021 calendar options, please email email@example.com or call 469–593–0000.
Feedback received will be shared with Trustees at the May 20 Work session, and the 2020–2021 Student Academic Calendar may be adopted as soon as the June 10 regular board meeting.
Watch the calendar presentation and discussion (Item VI L)