Business users often ask how they can harness the Glip team collaboration capability they use for their own employees to build a chat community with their customers.
Today, this can be done easily by inviting each customer using their email address, but it just got much easier!
Instead of manually entering each customer’s email address, Glipped provides a fully-operational self-service portal!
Wouldn’t it be great if users can instantly add themselves to the group? Glipped provides a portal to your team that let’s any user add themselves simply by adding their email address. It also shows a count of team users to encourage people to join the conversation.
Read on about how to deploy a the Glipped self-service portal for your team!
- You must have Glip as part of your RingCentral Office account. You can login to your developer account here.
- You also need to create a RingCentral App and have the Client ID and Client Secret handy. For more instructions on how to create a RingCentral App, click here.
- A public team on Glip you want to use.
Make sure your team settings has the “Members (except guests) may add other members” property enabled.
You can host Glipped on any web service. But in this tutorial, we will discuss the following:
Deploy to Heroku
The simplest way to get up and running is to use Heroku One-Button Deployment. To quickly get started please click on the “Deploy to Heroku” button here. See Heroku Deployment for more information on Heroku One Button Deployment.
Deploy to Heroku (direct link)
You will need to add the following parameters in the Heroku Configuration variables page.
- RC_CLIENT_KEY: Your RingCentral Client ID from the step above
- RC_CLIENT_SECRET : Your RingCentral Client Secret from the Developer Portal
- RC_APP_SERVER_URL : Sandbox or Production URL (Sandbox : https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com, Production : https://platform.ringcentral.com)
- RC_USERNAME : The RingCentral Account Username (phone number) for any Glip user that can invite guests to the Glip team, e.g. team owner or others if granted permissions. This should be in E.164 format such as:+[countryCode][numberWithoutSpecialCharactersParensOrHyphens], for example: +16505550123
- RC_EXTENSION : The RingCentral Account User Extension
- RC_PASSWORD : The RingCentral Account User Password
- APP_LOGO : Logo you would want to use (you can provide the URL of the Logo, bitly link, local file location etc)
- GLIP_GROUP_NAME : Name of the Public Glip Group
- GLIP_GROUP_ID : GroupId of the Group (Identify the GroupID from Get Group List)
Once the app is deployed, Heroku will provide you with a new URL which would serve as the landing page and can be used to share, e.g. https://yourteam.herokuapp.com .
- Landing Page ( demo )
2. Badge ( demo )
You can add a badge or shield for your project as shown below. This is especially popular for GitHub projects such as our JS SDK:
3. Real time updates ( demo )
The number currently registered users will be updated automatically in real-time.
That’s all you would need to do in-order to deploying the Glipped application and get your own public team up and running as a chat community being able to seamlessly connect with guests / members.
We would definitely love to hear any suggestions or recommendations you may provide. If you have any questions, please ask below: