STUCK UP- KICK START#1
So here we are a group of 7 teenagers, admirers of Rishi Balasaria. He was an story filled with fearlessness, Wonderment and Respect. We embark on a journey full of learning and going beyond our capabilities. A platform to showcase our skills and talents as well as develop new ones. We name ourselves Stuck Up as we are a superior bunch of teens, which will give a product of high quality and effective usage.
We’ve been celebrating Rishi Day from past 4 years and this years theme is the great exhibition, also referred as the Crystal Palace Exhibition. It was an international exhibition that took place in Hyde Park, London, from 1 May to 15 October 1851. It was the first in a series of World’s Fairs, exhibitions of culture and industry. The Exhibition was a celebration of modern industrial technology and design.
Our aim for this year is to design, innovate and create efficient products for the specially disabled.
The opportunity we grabbed is designing products for the handicap people, and we are mainly focusing at the people who don’t have hands. After we researched about the different problems that they face, spoke to people who have this disability and also did an authentic experience. After all of this we identified and understood the problems they face. We narrowed down to the problems in transportation and movement on roads, which are mostly in (we looked at the physical and emotional aspects):
· In public transport to climb stairs, maintain balance, opening doors, issues with the space and also they need some time which at times frustrates the other people behind them and they get impatient.
· They have difficulties in parking their vehicle as there is no allotted space for them which is convenient for them to park at.
· There are many road constraints and its dangerous at times while travelling on the road as there less space and lot of traffic plus there is no special pathway for people on wheelchairs or their vehicles, this also troubles the other people driving.
· Insecurity in private buses, as they are easily let down cause of the different abilities they have and mostly the others don’t understand their problems.
· As a conclusion to all these problems, handicap people there are mostly dependent on their family for transportation and that also bothers them at times.
Solution: Pondering upon the issues of transportation for people who don’t have hands, our group came up with an idea of making a tricycle for people without hands. This idea is cost effective and solves most of the listed problems.
For making the bicycle the 2 main sciences we would require to work with are physics and biology. Physics looks at all the mechanism and structure of the cycle which we would be redesigning. Biology for understanding the body structure of the people without their hands. The 3 major science topics that we would be using for designing this product would be:
· Force and Motion — Motion is important to our lives and impacts so many things that we do. As it’s the action or process of moving or of changing place or position; movement. Motion is the changing of position or location. But motion requires a force to cause that change. Force simply means a push or a pull. Force makes things move or, more accurately, makes things change their motion.
· Simple machines — The cycle is made up of many simple machines. The simple machines are a wheel and axle, a lever and a pulley. The pulley is used in the pedals and there’s also an inclined plane as the types allow the cycle to move up and down an inclined plane. There are also screws used in a cycle.
· Energy — It is the strength and vitality required for sustained physical or mental activity. In a cycle muscular energy is changed to kinetic energy and muscular energy is changed into mechanical energy.
We Brainstormed our ideas and penned them down.