Beta Testing Google Actions In Development: a caveat
Taking things for granted
This week I started a new Google Actions project. As soon as I had some working code I wanted to engage some friends to test it on real devices. I knew the procedure to enable for inviting other people to the testing because I had done that before, but I noticed that something had changed in the Actions Console.
In the past, after adding other Google accounts to the Project as
Viewers, you could use the “Share” button in the Simulator console to invite the owners of such account to test the Action. This time no “Share” button showed up on the Simulator console.
I went back to the official documentation looking for clues. Google’s products are constantly evolving, so I was not really surprised.
The docs (see: #1 and #2), though, still reported the procedure I was used to follow (at the time of writing, at least). Technically speaking, I was right.
Enabling testing, pt. 2
A brief chat with the Support Team clarified that the Actions testing procedure had been upgraded, but the docs were not up to date. Follow these steps to invite other people to test your Actions:
- From the “dots” menu in the upper-right corner, choose “Manage User Access”. This will open the IAM console on the Google Cloud Platform.
Click on “Add”, type the tester’s e-mail address (a valid Google account) in the box and assign her the
- Ask the tester to access the Actions Console with her account. She will see the Action in her dashboard.
- Ask the tester to enter the “Test” page and click the “Testing on Device” button to enable the unpublished Action on her devices.
The Action will now be available for testing and named:
“[test] your-project-name” in the Actions list.
Testing Smart Home Actions
If you are testing a “Smart Home Action”, follow these steps to test it on your Home device or app:
- Install the Google Home app on your phone
- In the dashboard screen, tap on “(+) Add”
- In the “Add and manage” screen, tap on “(+) Set up device”
- In the “Set up” screen, tap on “Works with Google”
- You should see the “[test] your-project-name” at the top of the list
- Select your Action and enjoy!