When does the world end?
What is the Doomsday clock and the importance of it?
The Doomsday clock is a symbolic representation of the like-hood of a man made global catastrophe. It represents as a metaphor of how close we are to tipping the scales to total abandonment of humanity and the drowning into chaos of man’s unchecked darkness.
So definitely the perfect gift for your Ex…
The Doomsday clock was made in 1947 and is maintained by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, every year in January they evaluate how close the world is to a man-made global catastrophe. There are many factor influencing this such as :
- Nuclear threats
- Climate Change
- Artificial Intelligence
“Midnight” on the clock means Doomsday, and depending on how far we are from “Midnight” tell us how close we are to global catastrophe. The Bulletin comes together twice annually to discuss global events in deliberation and decide what “Midnight” and global catastrophe mean that year, it may not always mean war but can mean various things and how they affect humanity drastically.
The Doomsday clock can be traced backed to its origins with the Chicago Atomic Scientists who participated in the Manhattan Project. After the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of World War II, the group started publishing a magazine, on the cover they had a clock designed on it, the co-founder Eugene Rabinowitch explained:
“The Bulletin’s Clock is not a gauge to register the ups and downs of the international power struggle; it is intended to reflect basic changes in the level of continuous danger in which mankind lives in the nuclear age…”
From the above link you can go read every single Doomsday clock statement giving reason why the decided the time from “Midnight” is of that value from 1947. Their statements are extremely thorough and very deliberate and logical.
But what does is it mean for us?
Lets fast forward to the present…
Currently the clock is at 100 seconds from “Midnight” for the past two years.
2020: 100 seconds from “Midnight”
- Nuclear war and Climate change
- They are then compounded by the threat of cyber-enabled information warfare by government agencies and fringe societal groups which destroys the public’s chance or will to respond to such issues by causing rifts between cultures and people leading to the lack of Unity needed. But also the lack and censorship of truthful factual information and general “spewage” of “fake” and incorrect information causing confusion among the general populous.
2021: 100 second from “Midnight”
- Humanity continues to suffer under the death threat of COVID but also show how ineffectual and unwilling countries are at helping their own people and at managing global catastrophe.
- Accelerating Nuclear programs of various countries, and development of advanced weapons such as ballistic missiles and hypersonic glide vehicles.
- Economic slowdown and the compounding effects on the efforts to fix Climate Change.
- The worst is the Misinformation campaigns run by people believing in incorrect information and building their beliefs but also politicians and world leaders riding upon this.
Right now humanity is at its worst stand point with the accelerating nuclear threats and the modernization of the nuclear program done by the US, Russia, India, Pakistan, etc. But also the eroding political landscape into pure human greed and “stupidity”. Governments have abdicated their responsibility to the people and also have ignored scientific advice of many scientists and their research. But also the eroding relationships between governments and their ability to cooperate and communicate with each other is starting to breakdown.
Against all this how are the people supposed to stand up and say STOP and cause a change?
Many people have forgotten humanity’s strongest weapon, weapon that is so strong that it has brought people together and also governments and creatures of humanity’s darkest aspects tremble in fear…HOPE. At this point in humanity, many of us have forgotten to hope and follow our hearts and are instead swallowed by the dark misery of life.
I can tell you all to raise arms and fight against these injustices but what is the point if people forget hope, the hope for a better and safer world. Never forget Hope, and we can change the world.