Who needs an excuse to show their dog how much they love them? No one. With the tough year we’ve just had and St Valentine’s day on the horizon I thought it would be nice to create a list of 100 ways you can show your dog just how much you love and appreciate them.
Our dogs rely on us for everything, and often we rely on them for everything too. They ask us for nothing in return. Here’s some ways you can give some love back everyday.
- Dogs love a good ear rub. Be sure to give them a good ear rub several times a day and remember to scratch behind the ears a bit too.
- If you have a large dog, lean against him while sitting on the floor or couch. Dogs in packs lean on, sit on, and lay snuggled next to each other for warmth and comfort.
- Learn about 12 Surprising Superfoods for Your Dog over at I Heart Dogs.
- Train your dog with patience and calm assertiveness. Discover 10 Commands to Help you Train Your Puppy from House that Barks.
- Play catch. Dogs, especially retrievers and hunting dogs thrive on both the exercise and the affirmation of retrieving a ball, frisbee or stick for their human.
- Give frequent belly rubs. There can be no greater joy for a dog than to roll on their back and have their human rub their belly. And it’s fun to watch when that back leg starts scratching at the air from sheer pleasure.
- Read our blog on Tips for Walking Dogs in Winter which can help you know how to protect your beloved pet during the coldest days of the year.
- Most dogs need regular exercise. Short walks, sniffaris, long rambles are all good for both of you.
- Make homemade doggie treats for your furry family members. Discover our Crunchy Carrot Biscuits recipe and treat your pet with a little homemade love.
- Let them be around other dogs. From time to time, invite over your friends with their dogs so that they can sniff each other, rough play, and enjoy social time with a pack of other canines.
- Train your puppy early to avoid misbehaviours. It’s so easy to love on your adorable puppy but the earlier you train your little companion the better they’ll behave.
- Dogs are animals and act upon instinct, that’s why it’s important to train them to respond to your expectations and rules through positive reinforcement. Through repetition, they’ll come to understand what pleases you and what doesn’t, and they’ll trust you to take care of them.
- Enforce the rules by being consistent. If you allow them to break the rules from time to time, they will be confused by your expectations. They’ll repeat behaviors that are rewarded so teach them what to do to get the reward.
- Leave toys available for play whenever you have to be gone. Puzzle toys keep them busy as they work to figure out how to get a treat out of the toy.
- Do trick or treat with your dog regularly. While it’s easy to give a treat for no reason, dogs are smart animals so celebrate their intelligence with some tricks.
- If you have a dog that doesn’t like getting in the water for a bath, you can use dry shampoo instead. The dog will love it since you’ll be rubbing it into the fur. They’ll just think you’re loving them and won’t be a bit scared.
- Clean their rubber/plastic toys frequently to prevent bacteria and germs from building up. This will help to keep your dog healthy.
- Make a custom memory foam dog bed to make your pet’s sleep space as comfortable as possible. This DIY Dog Bed Guide from Dog Care 101 will show you step by step how to do it.
- Let your dog spend time with you. Whether you are sitting at your desk doing paperwork or watching a movie with the family let the dog curl up at your feet to feel included with the family.
- Play hunting games by letting her smell a toy or piece of clothing. Then, tell them to sit, and stay while you hide the object. Then, let them go on the hunt to sniff out the item.
For my full list of 100 ways to show your dog you love them go to my Life with Pets blog