What I Ate Today
Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with any brands listed nor am I endorsing them!
I try to keep myself healthy as I age and I’m always interested in what other people eat throughout the day since food is a significant contributor to being fit. So, if you’re interested, here’s what I ate today in an effort to maintain a realtively healthy lifestyle:
Note: I woke up at 4:00 am and worked for a bit before starting the day with a 45 minute Insanity cardio workout at 6:00 am where I burned approximately 475 calories. During the workout I drank one 8 oz serving of Amino-X BCAAs.
7:00 am | Post-Workout Shake
- Protein shake consisting of 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk and 1 scoop of MET-Rx Natural Whey Vanilla protein powder
8:30 am | Breakfast
- 4 egg white omelet with pepper to taste and diced veggies: 1/3 red pepper, 1/4 onion, 2 crimini mushrooms
- 1.5 servings steel cut oats with cinnamon and salt to taste
10:00 am | Snack
- 1 medium banana
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 4 oz of Califia Farms Chocolate Coconut Almond Milk Blend
12:00 pm | Lunch
Leftovers today! This filled me up perfectly today — not too full, but not left feeling hungry for more.
- 7.5 oz grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups of steamed broccoli
- 1 Gala apple
2:00 pm | Snack
- Oatmega Chocolate Mint Crisp protein bar
- 3 slices of Applegate roasted turkey breast rolled with 1 tsp of yellow mustard and a handful of raw baby spinach (makes 3 small “wraps”)
4:30 pm | Dinner
This evening’s dinner was earlier than normal so we could go to the pool. It threw my normal meal plan off a bit, but it still worked out:
- Tacos consisting of 93% lean ground turkey with reduced sodium Ortego taco seasoning, chopped romain lettuce, chopped tomatoes, a dab of salsa, a glob of 0% plain greek yogurt, and some Texas Pete’s hot sauce to taste.
- A dessert I made up consisting of 2 tbsp peanut powder and 1 tbsp of Chocolate Vegan Shakeology mixed with just enough ice water to make it creamy and edible with a spoon. I LOVE having this after dinner.
7:45 pm | Evening Snack
Usually my last snack of the day is simply a protein shake, but I was hungry after swimming, so I had a few more things:
- Protein shake consisting of 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk and 2 scoops of Orgain Plant Based Protein Powder (Chocolate).
- 2 hard-boiled egg whites
- 2 tbsp of soy nut butter (Note: I usually have almond butter, but needed a change of pace tonight)
During the day I drink water, sparkling water (0 calories) and black coffee.
Today ended up being a bit of an anomaly compared to my normal weekday, but in the end I felt good all day with ample energy. I’ll take it. 👍
Ruttopia Almost-Daily is an almost-daily blog by Michael Rutt. Inspired by Jonas Ellison’s daily blogging experience, I am writing an almost-daily blog to spur my creativity and improve my writing. I hope you enjoy it!