Happy New Year! To kick off the year, we’ve got a new Q&A with two of our editors, details on December payments, and some writing prompts to help inspire your 2019 writing goals.
Meet Medium’s “Elevators”
Many of you asked for more details and background on our editors who scour the platform, look for great stories to share with our readers, and work with writers to edit and feature their stories. So this week, we published an interview with two of our “Elevators” — Stephanie Georgopulos and Harris Sockel — who spend their days searching for great writing on Medium and working with many of you on yours.
In the interview, you’ll learn more about why they starting working at Medium, what they are looking for in stories to “elevate,” writing tips, and their process for working with writers. Enjoy!
Stephanie Georgopulos and Harris Sockel spend their days searching for great writing on Mediumblog.medium.com
On 12/26, we processed December payments to your bank account. As always, these payments were based on the depth of engagement from our members (distributing each member’s $5/month based on his or her applause, reading time, and overall engagement last month).
Based on member engagement from December:
- 58.4% of authors or publications who wrote at least one story for members earned money.
- 9.3% of active authors earned over $100.
- $8,200.35 was the most earned by an author, and $3,257.02 was the most earned for a single story.
We’ve entered the final weeks to add 2018 taxpayer information to report your earnings through the Medium Partner Program. If you haven’t already, please take a few minutes to add your information now. We’ve designed the entry form to be quick, secure, and easy. (And remember: even if you are not a resident or citizen of the U.S., you must still provide taxpayer information so we can validate that you are not a U.S. taxpayer.)
Upcoming editorial calendar
Need some inspiration for your next story? Here are some story collections our editors are interested in adding to over the next few weeks:
- Notes on Changing Your Life: The whys and hows of forming good habits.
- Silicon Satire: Poking fun at tech culture with satire, parody, and wit.
- For the Record: Stories that explore the reality behind pervasive stereotypes about mental and physical health.
Please submit one story for either of these collections via this form. We’re looking for new material, so please send us either an unpublished Medium draft or a post published in 2019. We’re accepting submissions through Friday, January 18.
December’s special collections
Looking for some great reads? Our editors have published some great new collections in the past month, which feature stories published through the Partner Program.
- The January issue of Medium magazine focuses on predicting the future. It’s themed 2069, and we’ll be publishing new stories in it every weekday this month.
Bionic brains. Robots. Cutting-edge efforts to blunt the effects of climate change. The future of health care, and…medium.com
- In last month’s newsletter, we asked for submissions for For the Record — an anthology of stories that confront pervasive stigmas about physical and mental health. We received powerful submissions and have published the first 23 stories.
Stories that confront pervasive stigmas about physical and mental health, selected by Medium's editors.medium.com