How to Growth hack with Facebook Advertising!
Understanding the ruthless Facebook newsfeed!
Ads are actually fighting to make their visibility on the newsfeed. If you are targeting a specific set of audience with YXZ interest, XYZ behaviors and XYZ demographic, this chunk with more or less exactly same interest, behavior and demographics are being targeted by thousands of other advertisers. An advertiser should know the process of broad targeting.
This is how auction and delivery works. When a person goes to his/her news feed. Facebook looks at all the ads that are targeting him/her, ranks the ads based on an effective bid and select the top effective bid, this is represented by this formula.
Effective= advertiser bid x ecvr + F(likes, x-outs, and so on)
Facebook optimized delivery for actions advertisers care about. however, advertisers can’t always make an accurate bid for a target audience with CPM or CPC because they don’t know the probability of a person converting against an objective. The only solution for this by Facebook is conversion optimized bidding which estimates the value of an impression for an advertiser by predicting the likelihood that someone will convert against a given action using probabilistic modeling.
**Custom Audiences Techniques**
1. List down the facebook groups that are similar to your niche and use a tool like growthers.io/grouply to extract out member data from a Facebook group i.e. name, company name and emails.
2. After getting the basic information, use Toofr to get their work emails or leadIQ for gmail addresses and ad it to your custom audiences. However, keep in mind that Facebook’s terms of service require custom audiences to opt in, so play by the rules or put on your gray hat and cross your fingers.
3. Another way is to laser target a single person newsfeed for getting the mentions, this is usually done for the higher authority people like chief editor of The Next Web or Mashable or business insider etc even if you don’t know your target’s email address, you can try most common corporate email patterns such as email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and get the gmail from LeadIQ. Experiment with a few of these or head on to the company website for digging more into contact information.
1. Use 3 tiered targeting strategy, place a higher budget for the audience who are likely to convert i.e. 1% lookalike based on your most valuable audience.
2. Target the audience with past purchase record with a bit lower budget than the first and exclude the first tier from it.
3. A tiny fraction of the budget for 3% to 5% lookalike audiences.
**Creative & Relevance Techniques**
Keep an eye on the relevance score, to see how well connected an ad creative is a target market. Monitor the score closely and adjust the creative or target audience as and when needed.
Try the new link ad format and test it through the Facebook sharing debugger tool.
Photo link ad works as a trigger to boost your conversions, this ad will just look like a native picture but upon tapping it will take you to the landing page instead of opening up an enhanced picture. This ad hack is done with the help of Facebook’s Open Graph Meta Tags, by using those tags one can tell Facebook which image to show as the preview for the link. Here is an example ad, Click here.
This code should be added to a new file in your website and need to be edited through three different options which are mentioned below.
<! — Main Meta Tags →
<meta charset=”utf-8" />
<meta name=”description” content=”PAGE TITLE” />
<meta property=”og:site_name” content=”PAGE TITLE”>
<meta property=”og:url” content=”IMAGE URL”>
<meta property=”og:title” content=”PAGE TITLE”>
<meta property=”og:description” content=”PAGE TITLE”>
<meta property=”og:type” content=”video.other”>
<meta property=”og:image” content=”IMAGE URL”>
<meta property=”og:image:width” content=”800">
<meta property=”og:image:height” content=”800">
<meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0;URL=’WEBSITE URL’” />
The aforementioned HTML code should be added to a new file in your website that you want to use as a destination. Later on this link will be shared on one’s facebook page to generate the large photo link ad image. You will need to edit your code through three different ways.
- Page Title: Insert a decent tittle for the link you are advertising, this won’t be shown on facebook but its better to insert something relevant.
- Image URL: Upload 800×800 image file to the same site where the aforementioned code will be copy and pasted. This image URL will be displayed on Facebook
- Website URL: The website destination/URL that will opened after clicking on the image URL that will be displayed on Facebook.
Once you are done editing with the code, check it through the Facebook Sharing Debugger Tool to verify the image dimension and how it will look on your page.