Auto Pause/Resume Azure Synapse Data Pool
- Limitless analytics service that brings together data integration, enterprise data warehousing, and big data analytics.
- It gives you the freedom to query data on your terms, using either serverless or dedicated resources — at scale.
- Azure Synapse brings these worlds together with a unified experience to ingest, explore, prepare, manage, and serve data for immediate BI and machine learning needs.
Pricing for Azure Synapse Analytics
Pricing - Azure Synapse Analytics | Microsoft Azure
Limitless analytics service with unmatched time to insight
Auto Pause/Start Azure Synapse Analytics
- Most of organizations working with Azure Synapse Analtytics keep running the synapse pool during most of the day when most of their internal development and testing teams are active .
- In order to reduce the cost with Azure Synapse, we need to consider below points :
1) Understand when the pool is idle during/after business hours
2) Look for active sessions periodically and take a decision to pause the synapse
3) Resume the synapse pool based on the demand or daily in the morning
Steps to Enable Auto Pause/Resume Synapse Analytics Pool
- Understand when the pool is idle during/after business hours
Understanding of idle pool time for different organizations differs based on each team. You can configure your pattern based on your organizations/team WoW.
- Look for active sessions periodically and take a decision to pause the synapse
Create an Azure Devops release pipeline and add Azure Powershell Task referring to below powershell task :
- Resume the synapse pool based on the demand or daily in the morning
Create a release pipeline ,add powershell task to resume synapse pool and schedule it to run daily morning or on adhoc basis.
Resume-AzSqlDatabase –ResourceGroupName “myResourceGroup” ` –ServerName “sqlpoolservername” -DatabaseName “mySampleDataWarehouse”