5/15 #5 — Getting Information
☑ Insufficient or inapplicable knowledge or skills — Being aware that I am not familiar with the design process/necessary knowledge
□ Related prior experience — Using previous experiences to generate ideas for the design task
☑Feelings — Being aware of my own fears and excitement regarding the instructional design process
□ Attitudes — Examining the level of my commitment, open-mindedness, or responsibility
□ Taken-for-granted beliefs and personal values — Realizing the necessity to design my instruction toward people with socio-economic background to attend my design for different socio-economic or ethnic groups
□ Goals, criteria, and constraints of the project — Having difficulty generating a list of solid instructional goals
☑ Client/stakeholders/users — Considering the perspective of the clients, stakeholders, and the end users
□ Implementation context — Considering the economic situation of where the instructional project will be implemented
☑Available time — Finding ways to allocate sufficient time to each design task
□Available resources/budget — Using appropriate tools/equipment to develop the instructional module
□ Teamwork dynamic — Understanding how well you coordinate this project within the team
□ Others — Please Specify
This week was focused on getting needed information from my SME. This process ended up being more difficult than I anticipated, but I ultimately got what I needed to really dig into the design. I decided to have my SME screen record a complete map build, and talk through each step. I explained the concepts behind cognitive apprenticeship and cognitive modeling, and asked her to base her commentary in those ideas. Through the week I checked in regularly to make sure my SME had the recording on her to-do list.
Unfortunately we ran into a number of technical issues. At first she attempted to create the recording with a trial software that only allowed 15 minute recordings. I directed her to simply use the Quicktime screen recording in OSX, but with this method she lost an entire recording to a “could not record” error. After some troubleshooting, we determined that her headset’s microphone didn’t play well with OSX, and she was able to do a new recording with a different headset.
It was frustrating that such a simple issue cost most of a week, but the good news is that I now have the recording, which will be an invaluable resource for getting started on creating slides. This week I’ll go through that recording in detail, divide up the material, and start storyboarding the slides that I intend to make.