The Future of Winamp
Nobody uses Winamp anymore
Let’s take a nostalgia trip like using Mr. Peabody’s WABAC machine.
I’ve got a childhood flashback when I used to have Winamp on an old Windows 98/ME computer, where it was Winamp skins and plugins. I used to post them to DeviantArt but the policies are mediocre as the site needs to be shut down by the FBI and the INTERPOL for investigation. Designing Winamp skins were my free time, but copyrighted images on Winamp skins have been a problem on DeviantArt as they have been removed or relocated due to copyright infringement. I didn’t have Photoshop back then, I had Paint Shop Pro 9 to skin Winamp skins. Here are the skins that I made (below):
I’ve been making Winamp skins, first with Skinamp (but never posted on the internet) and later Jellby’s Skinner’s Atlas. After a hard drive crash and some money issues, I let the skinning creativity kind of dissolve.
Winamp 5.8 has been leaked on the internet since AOL’s demise as Radionomy owns Winamp. The version is not an ongoing project. I’ve been losing interest in Winamp over the years and as a result I’ve neglected Winamp as I use internet radio nowadays due to the decline of CD sales.
Adobe has retired the CS6 (as Creative Cloud won’t be usable with Winamp). Winamp isn’t Macintosh compatible since I’ve switched to iTunes. iTunes works on both Windows and Mac, however, I’m not going to switch to Linux or Ubuntu. The portfolio and the webcomic (Fighter’s Adventure) will be self-hosted instead of using free web hosting services.
The Winamp Skins can be downloaded in one huge .zip file.
- The character(s) from the anime, manga, video games, or cartoons in these Winamp skins are the property of their respective owners/companies/licensors.
- You may use these Winamp skins for personal use only. Commercial use is forbidden.
- You may not pass these Winamp skins as your own work, including the use of elements of my Winamp skins for your own projects and/or republishing these Winamp skins… if you want to use elements of my Winamp skins for your own projects or republishing them, please ask for permission.
- Tick the “Use skinned font for main title display” in the Preferences window (off by default).
- All my Winamp skins look best with double sizing enabled (for larger screens).
- The DinoCity Winamp skin and the Mondo and Rockna Winamp skin looks best when you put the windows side by side (Main, Equalizer, Playlist, others).
Although I no longer actively make or update Winamp skins, you can still follow me on social media what I’m doing these days since Adobe has dropped support for Creative Suite.
Updated March 27, 2019.
Update: Apparently Radionomy will disable the use of skins in a future release, so use my skins while you can. I will give permission to the Archive.org archivists to upload them to here.
Update 2019/06/05: Jordan Eldredge has my full permission to upload all my Winamp skins to the Winamp Skins Collection, despite these skins will remain here until the end of Windows 7 support, or Radionomy drops support for Winamp skins when Winamp 6 arrives. Apple also discontinued iTunes this week, but it can still be used.