1. Briefly describe your Problem Statement
- Train passengers do not have the ability to locate or find out where a doctor or police officer or military officer is present at any given instant of time during emergencies or in cases of theft or other criminal activities.
- During medical emergencies, passengers could end up dying without the proper information about doctors on board. Even in the case of theft or any crime, it becomes hard for passengers to locate the police or military officers in such times. This also causes a lot of chaos in the compartment, when the passengers don’t know where the doctor/police/military officer is. Annually, 15,000 people die in railways due to various reasons.
- Usually, people scream to search for these people, which would cause a lot of disturbances in the train and to other passengers.
- Hence, an application or a method to identify where each doctor or police/military officer is, is necessary.
2. What are the benefits or gains from having this problem solved?
- Police/Military officers and Doctors can be located quickly
- Leads to less confusion and chaos in the train
- This could save lives during emergencies
- Fraudulent activities can be reported to the police much faster
3. Which among the different beneficiaries will benefit the most?
- IR and Government
4. What are the key constraints that have to be considered in attempting to solve this problem?
- If the solution is an application, many passengers will not have a smartphone to access the application.
- Passengers could find it difficult if the doctor/police/military officer is not in the same compartment.
- Consent from the doctor/police/military officer is required.
5. What is the minimum set of features/functionality (Minimum Usable Prototype) that will be acceptable as a solution?
- Must be able to summon the doctor/police/military officer as quick as possible without any delays
- Exact location of the doctor/police/military officer should be known to the passengers
- The solution should be able to inform the passengers where the doctor/police/military officers about their locations in the train before the journey
- Doctor/Police/Military officer should be accessible from any compartment
6. What resources would you recommend as being highly critical to fast-track the problem solving as well as make the solution more effective?
7. Briefly describe the market and business potential you foresee (and could potentially estimate) if this problem were to be solved.
- The solution could be licensed to the Indian Railways and other railways around the world. Such companies can be profited. The solution could be an added feature to attract more people to use trains, and this could lead to more revenue for the IR and Government.
This problem statement has been referred from,
Dr. V. Vijayaraghavan
 Buncombe, A. (2012, February 21). 15,000 die on Indian railways every year. Retrieved June 07, 2017, from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/15000-die-on-indian-railways-every-year-7278812.html