SKILL AVAILABILITY MAPPING
1. Briefly describe your Problem Statement
Please describe the problem statement as it is perceived and experienced by the end-user or the target beneficiary. A description with more details of what is being done today to solve the problem will be very useful.
- Skills are a critical asset for individuals, businesses and societies.Currently, there exists a prevailing gap between the talent acquisition team/management in any university and the skilled students.Matchmaking between the supply and demand of resources has been one of the most complex tasks performed. 
- Statistics reveal that a high percentage of the students talent go unrevealed.
- Several other methods of identifying and tracking their talents with respect to academic activities etc has been proposed but have been ineffective in usage.
- A current solution,possibly in the form of a mobile application which could collect student details and resumes and match it to the requirements which the university team is in search of could solve such an issue and also reduce the communication gap that exists presently.
2. What are the benefits or gains from having this problem solved?
Please describe the benefits linked to solving the problem and also help us understand the rationale behind why this problem is worthy of solving.
- Easier access to people with exceptional skills.Eg.Students,Techies etc.
- Lesser cost of hiring/outsourcing skilled employees.
- Higher usage of talents among people and acknowledgment of it can lead to several other opportunities.
- Employment related research could be conducted into areas including skill shortages, recruitment experiences, labour and skills needs and industry and employment trends.
3. Which among the different beneficiaries will benefit the most?
Why are we asking this? Only by solving the problem for that end-user or customer that most benefits from it, can startups generate revenues and build a business model with potential for success and scale. For e.g. While Google.com offered access to information via the internet in a simple, reliable and very affordable manner, it is only by offering AdWords to make advertising services accessible and affordable to the millions and millions of ‘small enterprises and businesses’ (beneficiary with maximum gain) did Google build a scalable business model powered by tech.
- University Management/Requirement Team
- Students in search of employment matching to their interests and skill levels
- Industries in search of skilled students with specific interests.
- Lecturers/Professors, to identify talented/interested students for projects.
4. What are the key constraints that have to be considered in attempting to solve this problem?
Solving problems both efficiently and cost-effectively requires that the solution accommodates the several constraints that influence the utility/usability of the solution. For e.g. operating costs, lack of resources or materials, lack of technical or specialised skills, time constraints, end-user convenience etc. usually reduce the utility/usability/affordability of solutions for the end-user (irrespective of how good the performance/quality of the solution is in the hands of the innovator).
- Awareness of its access by everyone.
- Understanding of options in technology could be a barrier for several students.
- Communication gap can prevail among students with a hesitation to utilize with such approaches. They must be convinced.
5. What is the minimum set of features/functionality that will be acceptable as a solution?
Problem solving is most effective when the prototyping process is agile and iterative. The natural tendency is to build a feature-rich solution and thereby delay end-user feedback. To avoid the creation of a more elaborate Product, it is imperative to focus the solution building towards a Minimum Usable Prototype — a ‘Good is Good Enough’ solution with which to achieve end — user trials and feedback. Please describe the minimum scope of UI/UX and features of the Prototype that will make sense for end-user trials.
- A mobile or web-based application that has features that represent the input details of students.
- Ability to create separate accounts for students and recruiters. Students have the provision to enter skills and interests and projects completed. Recruiters may search through students and then message them for internship opportunities or interviews. Recruiters should also be able to enter all required details of a project, including timescale, pay and job description, and share with students.
- The application must possibly be free of cost and user-friendly as well.
6. What resources would you recommend as being highly critical to fast-track the problem solving as well as make the solution more effective?
Resources in the form of reference materials to further enhance the understanding of the problem context or to learn more about recent developments or advances made in either solving this problem or in related tools, technologies etc. that will significantly enhance or impact the outcomes of the problem solving exercise.
7. Briefly describe the market and business potential you foresee (and could potentially estimate) if this problem were to be solved.
Whilst an attempt to assess market/business potential for an idea (a solution for a problem) at the stage of prototyping is too early and to be avoided we would like to understand your views on the basis for understanding the market and business potential of this solution.
- This application could benefit most universities and also give specific access to prevailing information and briefs.
- Several firms can directly benefit and spend less time and effort in placements and in-person requirement process.Also,their expectations and requirements can directly be mentioned.
- Solution could initially be made free to gain a large user base. Later on, advanced features could be licensed for a fee. Recruiters could be charged a subscription fee to post ads, etc. on the platform.
This problem statement is referenced from:
 (n.d.). Retrieved from https://wheebox.com/logo/FullVersion.pdf