Love for the Supreme Being, a Boundless Ocean of Spirit — Section 48 — Radhasoami Mat Prakash by Huzur Maharaj
108. This [meditation] practice can be conducted easily and comfortably if the devotee has a little love for the Supreme Being. Without love it will be too hard and difficult to practise Surat Shabd Yoga [inner Light and Sound meditation] with any good result to be obtained within a short time.
1. The Supreme Being, being a Boundless Ocean of Spirit or Love and human being, being a Drop or Current of Spirit or Love from this Ocean, and love being the very essence and means of existence of the whole creation, it follows that no effort in any direction, temporal or spiritual, unless actuated by love or affectionate regard, can be crowned with success, and the work or labour rendered easy, sweet and harmonious.
2. Love is most sublime, having its origin in the highest region, the abode of the Supreme Being. In whatever heart it springs up, it will gradually raise and carry the fortunate possessor of this lofty and noble passion to the highest region.
3. All good qualities and goodness itself will gradually find their home in the heart in which love dwells, and all bad qualities will be rooted out by and by.
4. Whatever a man fully of pure love thinks or does is all wisdom, while the thoughts and works of worldly wise men are full of selfishness and folly.
5. Knowledge without love for the Supreme Being is futile and tends towards untruth or darkness or materialism, while love turns everything to good use and lead to enlightenment and truth. Even worldly love, such as filial and conjugal, is attended with goodness, happiness and comfort to all concerned. How much more good would then result to mankind in general if the same love become spiritual, and be directed towards the Supreme Being, the Merciful and Kind Parent of the whole creation.
6. Self-love brings on egotism or pride, and sows the seed of hatred, jealousy and disregard in the minds of kindreds, associates and neighbors; while pure and sacred love for the Supreme Being creates in the heart humility, meekness and an affectionate regard for kindreds, neighbors and humanity in general.
7. Pure and holy love is always ready to spend (regardless) whatever it has for the sake of its Beloved, the Supreme Father, and the benefit of mankind without any distinction; whereas self-love or love of world always tries to appropriate everything to itself, even at the risk and loss of others.
8. Pure and holy love is always ready to sacrifice anything whatever to gain admission into the presence of the beloved, the Supreme Being; whereas self-love will never part with anything except for the sake of its own aggrandizement and indulgence in sensual pleasures.
9. The noble passion of love is most powerful and strong. It removes all obstacles and thorns in its way and discards all superstitions, doubts and skepticism.
10. Where pure love dwells there sheds the light of Grace, as it forms a link with the Spirit or Love Current from its Source, the Supreme Being.
11. Such is the strength and effect of affection and kind treatment that it subdues ferocity and other injurious and dangerous characteristics in beasts and other animals, that is to say, they begin to love and have an affectionate regard for their keepers and trainers.
12. A heart devoid of love or affection is as hard as stone, and does not form a suitable receptacle for the light of Heavenly Grace and Mercy.
13. Sincere love is reciprocal, so if one has a heart full of love for the Supreme Being, he is sure to be attracted towards Him by Grace, Mercy and Holy Light which will gradually illumine his inner self, and then all menial or worldly affections and desires will gradually disappear.
14. Love or the power of attraction is the basis of the whole creation and the cause of its sustenance and preservation.
15. The Supreme Being loves and takes special care of those who love Him with all their heart and soul, and gradually draws them towards Himself, the Grand Centre of Pure Light and Attraction; while those whose hearts are imbued with worldly love and passions recede from this centre, or in other words, they of themselves fly away towards the circumference or darkness and untruth.
16. Every wave of love rising in a lover’s heart brings tidings of goodness and joy from the Beloved, and every thought springing up in such a heart is a harbinger of good works and good services for the sake of the Beloved.
17. Love has no bounds, knows no restrictions, and is not limited by conditions, and like its source is extensive and far reaching in its beneficial results.
— Huzur Maharaj Rai Saligram Bahadur, Radhasoami Mat Prakash