SCU Career Center: LinkedIn Labs
By: Sammie Yamashita
Have you ever been to one of the LinkedIn Labs held by the SCU Career center? If you haven’t, you should definitely check one out during your time here at Santa Clara.
They have a lot of great tips to offer that will bring your LinkedIn profile from blah to WOW! Here are a few of the many tips I learned when I stopped by:
- Join groups on LinkedIn. This will help get your name and face out there and allows you to be seen by more recruiters.
- Include a summary or tagline on your profile. This will help recruiters learn what your objective and goal is and see who you really are.
- Add a picture to your profile and wear business casual in the picture. Make sure the background fits you and your personality but is also appropriate.
- Add visuals or attach media as needed. If you are looking to be a graphic designer or photographer, add some images to your profile! You can attach works you’ve created or even videos.
- Again, join groups! Joining groups is one of the main aspects that makes LinkedIn a great networking tool. You can meet others with similar interests or career goals, as well as connect to recruiters and other higher-up people who can help you further your career.
At the LinkedIn Lab I attended, I learned that SCU has a new tool similar to LinkedIn, just for SCU students. This tool is called Handshake, and you can learn all about it at one of the Career Center’s Handshake Labs.
If you’ve never attended a LinkedIn Lab I highly encourage you to go! They give so many tips you wouldn’t have thought of yourself, and you can stop in just for a little or the whole time. They can offer you one-on-one help and answer all of your questions. Here is a list of the sessions they’ll be having this Fall quarter:
For more information about upcoming recruiting programs, events, and services, please visit the Career Center events calendar.
Click here for more information about the Career Center.