SatoshiLabs Celebrates 5 Years in the Business of Innovating Security! #SL5Y
We are delighted and proud to announce that SatoshiLabs is celebrating its 5th birthday today, on the 12th of December! SatoshiLabs is the creator of the world’s first cryptocurrency hardware wallet — Trezor, a pioneer in crypto and digital security. What started in 2013 as a small company with a handful of developers is now a modern and trusted company with a global reach.
That’s right — five years of securing your crypto funds and bringing unbreakable cryptography to the masses, five years with a clean track record and established reputation, five years of satisfied customers in more than 60 countries.
To celebrate this special occasion we have launched a limited metallic edition of Trezor One on our e-shop!
A huge thanks to the whole SatoshiLabs community — we would have never achieved this without you!
What We Have Accomplished
“We created a brand new industry, with the invention of the first hardware wallet 7 years ago. We built an incredible community around Trezor and met hundreds of awesome people. And foremost, we are proud to be an important part of the incredible social, political and financial change brought by Bitcoin in general.”
Marek “Slush” Palatinus, CEO of SatohiLabs
To mark this occasion, let’s go through the main achievements that SatoshiLabs has brought to the world over the years:
- Invented the recovery seed backup and passphrase protection, now used in most cryptocurrency wallets and every single hardware wallet (Don’t believe us? See the BIP39 and BIP44)
- Successfully developed and marketed Trezor — the world’s first hardware wallet, currently celebrating seven years since its creation
- Developed Trezor Wallet and Trezor Password Manager — the services available to anyone who buys a Trezor device
- Contributed to countless open-source projects including, but not limited to, Bitcoin Core, Electrum, MicroPython, Signal, IPFS, Ethereum, Zcash, Monero, and NixOS
- Sold hundreds of thousands of devices in more than 150 countries
- Created an active and thriving developer community with over 30 GitHub repositories, forked and starred by thousands of developers
- and much more…
Quite impressive, right? And we are not stopping the innovations any time soon.
New Era, New Branding
You might have noticed that we have changed our logo, created a new website depicting our history and changed our visual identity. Don’t worry — it’s still us, just a bit more stylish. The new logo is a modern, digital version on the resonance curve. The black and white colours accentuate our strong commitment to security, openness, truth, and invention.
What is Coming in the Future
Many exciting things are in the pipeline for Trezor. We are constantly improving the user experience and continue to invent and use new technologies: we would like to implement Lightning Network and Liquid support in Trezor. Furthermore, we are working on allowing the usage of SD cards with Trezor Model T to protect your encrypted passwords and files. Further security innovations are coming for those who want more — recovery seed splitting for additional safety of your funds.
“No matter what the future brings, we will continue doing what we are best at — securing and innovating the whole crypto industry while being open about everything we do.”
Pavol “Stick” Rusnák, CTO of SatoshiLabs
We hope you will be with us to see all the excellent work in the upcoming years.