City of Austin Texas Use District Map, 1939
By Austin Chamber of Commerce
To promote business growth in Austin and membership, the Chamber of Commerce distributed this map identifying the different residential, commercial, industrial, and government districts within the city.
In 1939, the city boundaries had not yet expanded to their present-day size. St. Edwards University was outside the city limits to the south.
The Municipal Airport marked to the northeast closed in 1999 after Austin-Bergstrom International Airport opened.
Where Interstate 35, which opened in 1962, exists today, East Avenue runs north and south to the Colorado River. Tarrytown, an affluent neighborhood today, used to be home to the County Poor Farm.
Four state institutions are identified on the map using their 1939 name. The current names are in parentheses:
· State Insane Hospital (The Austin State Hospital),
· State Blind Institute (The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired),
· State School for the Feeble-minded (The Austin State Supported Living Center)
· State Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute [for Colored] (The Grove at Shoal Creek)
The latter institution opened in 1887 with 17 students. State legislator, teacher, and former slave, William Holland pushed for the establishment of the school and became its first superintendent. His wife, Eliza James Holland taught students who were deaf. By 1912, they had 125 students and 11 teachers.
This map was adopted with contributions from the 2009 State Employee Charitable Campaign (SECC); conservation was funded in 2009.
This map is currently on exhibit at the Bullock Museum.