Save Texas History
Published in

Save Texas History

(Image source: Wikimedia Commons)

Woman Hollering Creek and Other Histories of Texas Women and the Land

Page from the land grant to María Calvillo in which Juan Seguín issued the title in her name. Click here to learn more about María Calvillo. María Calvillo Land Grant, 23 March 1834, Box 120, Folder 4, p. 5, Records of the Spanish Collection, Archives and Records Program, Texas General Land Office, Austin, TX.
Texas Department of Transportation signs mark road crossings intersecting with Woman Hollering Creek at various places in eastern Bexar County. This one sits at the creek’s crossing with Interstate 10. (Image source: Google Maps)
United States Board on Geographic Names official ruling regarding the name of “Woman’s Hollow Creek” from the 1993 volume of Decisions on Geographic Names in the United States.
On this 1940 Texas Highway Department General Highway Map, the creek is shown but not labeled with a name of any kind. Courtesy of Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.
Bexar County maps at the GLO (1839, left; 1879, right) show an unnamed tributary running through the land grant of Maria Josefa Rodrigues to Martinez Creek. This marking lines up almost perfectly with 2020 satellite images of “Woman Hollering Creek.” [left] H.L. Upshur, Map representing the surveys made in Bexar County, Austin: Texas General Land Office, 1839, Map #1947, [right] Map of Bexar County Texas, St. Louis: August Gast and Company, 1879, Map #530, Map Collection, Archives and Records Program, Texas General Land Office, Austin, TX.
In this clipping from the 1958 Army Corps of Engineers Map of Saint Hedwig, Texas, “Woman Hollering Creek” is shown in the center of the image. Courtesy of Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.
In this clipping from the 1967 Army Corps of Engineers Map of Schertz, Texas, “Women Hollow Creek” is shown in the center of the image. Courtesy of Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.
In this clipping from the 1995 Texas Highways Map, “Woman Hollering Creek” is shown in the center of the image. Courtesy of Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.
This portion of the second page of the Charles Kopplin land deed in 1880 shows the reference to the name of the geographic area as Old Womans Hollow. Courtesy of the Bexar County Archives.
This portion of the 1897 map of Bexar County shows William Kopplin’s land (traced and labeled in purple). The map was overlaid with a 2020 satellite image to show the area lining up with what was by 2020 Woman Hollering Road (traced and labeled in red) and Woman Hollering Creek (traced and labeled in turquoise). John D. Rullmann, Map of Bexar County Showing Subdivisions of Original Surveys and Names of Present Owners, San Antonio, 1897, G4033.B46 1897 .R8, Library of Congress Geography and Map Division, Washington, D.C. Reproductions of this map (GLO Map #88908) are available courtesy of the Library of Congress. Satellite image and related information courtesy of Google Earth Pro.
This portion of the second page of the Edmond Pfeil land deed in 1881 shows the reference to the name of the geographic area as Cañada de la Vieja (Old Womans Hollow Creek) and again later to Old Womans Hollow Creek. Courtesy of the Bexar County Archives.
Click here to sign up for weekly Texas history e-mails!

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Texas General Land Office

Official Account for the Texas General Land Office | Follow Commissioner George P. Bush on Twitter at @georgepbush. www.txglo.org