MBA Vs Digital Marketing: What is the better choice for your career?
When I was in my school, I used to wonder why someone with an Engineering degree would go for MBA. I used to make fun of the people who went for MBA after doing a technical course in undergrad. Later on, one of my teachers who has a Btech degree from IIT Kharagpur and an MBA degree from IIM Calcutta explained to me that no matter where you start in the beginning but the growth will eventually take you towards management.
You start as a software developer, then you become a team lead and then eventually a project manager. You start as a Business Analyst and then you eventually start managing a team of analysts for better efficiency.
That’s why no matter what field you’re in if you have demonstrated management abilities supplemented with an MBA from a reputed Business school then you grow at a much faster pace compared to your batchmates.
Fast forward 10 years while the MBA is still considered a worthy degree for expediting your career trajectory, a lot of people prefer going for learning practical skills which are in high demand.
In the past decade, many new career options (especially in the digital space) and industries have come up. The exponential growth of such verticals has increased the demand for relevant skills also exponentially.
This is true for digital marketing as well. In the past few years, digital marketing has grown to be an independent sector generating employment. Digital marketing has grown so much that even it has become a superset of many specialisations like Search Engine Optimisation, Social Media Optimisation, Search Engine Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Google Ads etc.
It has grown so much that many marketing graduates are confused about whether they should go for an MBA or they should do a good course in digital marketing.
In this blog, we would discuss Digital Marketing, MBA and what is the better career choice for you at the moment.
- Digital Marketing is basically marketing using digital channels. It requires much lesser logistics, cost and resources compared to offline marketing.
- The advent of Social Media has made digital marketing all the more accessible, and affordable.
- Digital Marketing allows you to segment and target your audience in a more refined and effective way.
- It is increased the return on investment for marketing.
A career in Digital Marketing
When I was appearing for JEE, I wanted to become a scientist. During those days digital marketing was not even a career option.
After 10 years, I am in the field of digital marketing as a blogger, marketer, designer and social media manager.
- Digital marketing is an excellent career option. Being an engineer from IIT, I love the kind of flexibility it provides me and allows me to be creative.
- Digital marketing is all about skills and creativity and you get paid accordingly. Even if you do not have a high profile degree but you have the skills, intuition and creativity then you can make really good money.
- Digital marketing has lots of components like blogging, content marketing, graphic designing, infographics, video making, Search Engine Optimization, Ads, Social Media etc. So one can find something that they like and excel at while delivering quality services and making good money.
- It allows you to work independently without having to work full time and start your business also without much entry barrier.
Why MBA is a desirable degree?
Now that we have discussed Digital marketing let’s know more about one of the most desirable and saleable degrees in India and across the world.
After the liberalisation, Privation and globalisation happened in India during 1991, thousands of MNCs came to India. And many Indian private sector companies grew exponentially.
This increased the demand for skilled people in management roles who could run the show, increase the sales, marketing, improve productivity, bring more clients, reduce the cost, manage finance and a lot more.
This is how the trend of hiring employees who have been trained in management through an MBA degree started.
That’s why millions of professionals every year opt for MBA to give their career that extra push which they need to excel in a managerial role.
MBA is a two-year degree program which academic, and practical knowledge to the students for excelling in management.
MBA Vs Digital Marketing as career options
Marketing and finance are the most popular specialisation in marketing. Graduates who have done their undergrad marketing often find themselves confused about whether they should rather do a course in digital marketing or do an MBA.
In fact, even some of my friends who are not happy with their corporate career often wonder whether they should go for MBA or instead learn a more practical skill like digital marketing.
Well, there is no right answer to this. But I would like to tell you few things which can help you make the right decision.
- If you’re looking for acquiring the knowledge, skills and understanding that helps a business reach the desired audience,
- If you’re looking for a career option that involves working on creative projects, doing creative work, with creative people,
- If you do not have the time to prepare or if you think you can’t get into the best MBA colleges,
- If you want to be able to start your own business after working for a few years,
Then you should go for digital marketing. It would allow you to work at your own comfort, at your pace, you can start up your own firm with the clients you already have. You can use your skills to build your business and client base.
You can live a peaceful life with creative juices flowing all the time without a typical corporate culture that doesn’t let you sleep peacefully.
- If you think you like being in roles where you have to get the inputs and take decisions,
- If you like to be in a leading role, where you do not have to execute but have the right people for doing something,
- If you want to see yourself in the top management of a big company, running the show,
- If you like the corporate setup, working with clients, teams, making strategies to improve the quality of the product, decrease cost, increase customer satisfaction etc.
- If you think you can afford to spend millions and 2 years to achieve all this
Then you should go for an MBA.
Learn Digital Marketing on Scholarbees
I personally feel digital marketing is a skill that every professional should learn. At least the basics. Even if you start your own firm, in the beginning, you need to do the marketing on your own.
Even if you’re not a Digital marketer learn the basics of digital marketing because the future belongs to the multidisciplined mind. Those who know how to hack digital marketing are more likely to succeed in their endeavours.
And if you’re a marketing professional or student then you should make it a point that you learn digital marketing from industry experts.
On Scholarbees you can book private sessions with the best digital marketing professionals. The perks of learning on Scholarbees are:
- You do not have to buy the whole package, you can book the sessions for the topics you need to learn and for your doubt solving.
- You interact with the teacher unlike in a pre-recorded session.
- You can manage your time well and book the session at your convenience.
Don’t wait to take up a course in digital learning on Scholarbees and give your career that extra push for more success.