Hautest Hats Through the Decades
by Lula Ososki
Come rain or shine, you can’t go wrong with a good hat. Although some are more for style than practical wear (see No. 7!), these designers have all showcased head-turning hats on the runway. Here are our top 10 looks…
1.Number one has to go to Galliano for this 1992 feathered beauty. It’s got romance, sass, elegance and larger-than-life attitude.
2. Milliner/genius Philip Tracey worked closely with designer Alexander McQueen, and this is one of his beautiful creations for McQueen’s 2008 SS show dedicated to Isabella Blow.
3. Another perfect milliner, designer collaboration…Stephen Jones for Comme Des Garcons Fall 2007. Mickey vibes all round!
4. This 1998 Yohji Yamamoto piece says ‘go big or go home’. It could also double up as a tent.
5. Teddy bear fur is okay, right? No? Even if it’s Moschino Spring 2014?
6. This Boxpeak cap was created by British fashion designer Nasir Mazhar who began his design career with hat making inspired by street culture, sports wear and clubbing.
7. Geometric and covered in Swarovski crystals, Gareth Pugh’s 2008 number is for those days when you really can’t face seeing anyone.
8. Chanel’s Spring 2013 transparent pastel hats are making us swoon!
9. Miyake Mushroom hat! From Issey Miyake’s 1977 show.
10. Last but not least, these super cute Balmain 1987 polka dot hats! Werk it.