10 Projects Made with Pen
By the Scratch Community Team
This post is part of a blog series about what young people are sharing in the Scratch online community.
We often say that we design Scratch to have a low floor (it’s easy to get started) and a high ceiling (you can make really complicated stuff with it). In the Scratch online community, we see fun projects made with only a few blocks, projects that truly push the limits of what we imagined was possible, and everything in between.
One popular type of project that demonstrates the high ceiling of Scratch is “100% Pen.” In 100% pen projects, Scratchers use the blocks in the pen category, rather than the costumes of sprites, to create graphics. This often involves lots of math and complex scripts. It’s amazing what Scratchers can make with pen!
Here’s a list of pen games, animations, simulations, and art:
1. Check out this nice ocean view.
2. Just go with the flow.
3. Try playing this game (and then try to stop playing it).
4. With pen, you can create trees that change with the seasons.
5. This mathematical equation could go in an art museum.
6. You are now getting sleepy, very sleepy…these spirals are calming and hypnotizing.
7. Draw some delightful doodles with light.
8. We think this classic game recreated entirely with pen is out of this world!
9. Here comes the sun…. (and the sunflowers follow!)
10. Wait, you can make pen games in 3D??
Want to learn how to make your own pen projects with Scratch? Grab a pen for note-taking and try this tutorial, made by a Scratcher!