Dive Industry Market Study
Announcing The First ‘State of The Industry’ (SOTI) Study for The Dive Industry
A study of worldwide market trends in the dive industry: certifications, gear sales & travel for scuba diving, freediving, snorkeling, tech diving & surface-supplied air diving.
Darcy Kieran is the author of the reference book “Scuba Diving Industry Market Size & Statistics.”
Since we started collaborating with InDepth Magazine on a series of dive industry surveys about a year and a half ago, we’ve received a ton of positive feedback. There is a dire need for more market data in this industry, and we’re glad we could help!
As a consequence, we also regularly receive more requests for more data. So we thought it was about time we tackled the elephant and worked on a comprehensive “State of The Industry” (SOTI) study.
Results will be made available to all dive industry stakeholders on Scubanomics. The idea is to help each one of us in the dive industry navigate toward success. We can remain competitors on different sailboats while contributing to a valuable, accurate weather forecast that none of us could produce in isolation.
In this first SOTI survey of the Dive Industry, we will look at 2022 results compared to the prior year for certifications, travel, and dive gear sales in recreational and tech diving, freediving, snorkeling, and surface-supplied air diving around the world. We will also evaluate expectations/forecasts for 2023.
Our goal with this State of The Industry (SOTI) study is to provide you with:
- A gauge of how the industry is doing: Are you doing better or worse than your peers?
- A business weather forecast: What are the trends in our industry? What product/service markets are growing? Which ones are shrinking? In which geographical regions?
Our intent is also to:
- identify the most pressing issues we should work on solving as a group of professionals; and
- highlight opportunities for growth in changing markets.
In addition to sales & certification trends, we will study a myriad of other metrics of value to dive business owners and managers, like:
- What percentage of dive gear is sold online nowadays?
- What percentage of divers start with online learning?
- Are dive centers with their own pool performing better?
- How many dive stores also carry freediving and swim gear? Do these dive centers perform better?
- Which department performs better in today’s dive center? What is the split in revenues between training, gear sales & travel? The last study on the topic dates to the 80s!
- Is there a change in the type of gear new divers purchase (e.g., more dive computers & accessories but less hard goods like regulators & BCDs)?
- How is tech diving performing compared to recreational diving?
- Is rebreather and sidemount diving gaining traction?
- Is surface-supplied air diving making inroads in our industry?
- And so much more! Contact us if you have specific questions about the dive industry. We plan to keep producing dive industry surveys and market research studies throughout 2023 to help dive professionals like you.
All answers are anonymous. We estimate it should take most of you less than 30 minutes to answer this survey. However, the survey contains more questions for local dive shops & dive centers because they sell all products & services offered in the dive industry. We thank you in advance for your time and commitment to this exciting industry!
To draw a complete picture of the dive industry, we need participation from all stakeholder groups, including:
- Dive Shops & Dive Centers
- Dive Schools (e.g., University programs)
- Dive Clubs
- Independent Dive Instructors
- Dive Boat Operators
- Dive Resorts
- Dive-Specialized Liveaboards
- Dive Operators on Cruise Ships
- Dive Travel Agencies/Agents
- Dive Training/Certification Agencies
- Dive Gear Manufacturers/Brands
- Dive Gear Wholesalers/Distributors
- Dive Gear Sales Representatives/Agents
- Dive-Specialized Media
Subscribe to be notified when the results become available and to participate in future SOTI studies.
This study is part of a series of dive industry surveys by the Business of Diving Institute in collaboration with InDepth Magazine with support from DAN Europe, Shearwater, GUE, and most importantly, YOU! Besides participating in this survey, please let us know if you would like to add your name to the official list of supporters.
You may further help the dive industry by taking part in other ongoing dive industry surveys. You will also find results from our past studies here.
Also, from Darcy Kieran:
- Handbook: Your Career and/or Life as a Scuba Diving Instructor: How to make a good living out of your passion for scuba diving!
- Handbook: The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide To Scuba Diving: How to increase safety, save money & have more fun!
- Reference book: Scuba Diving Industry Market Data & Statistics.
Don’t be left out! Subscribe to Scubanomics: The Dive Industry Compass to be the first to know about dive industry market data & insights. Otherwise, be our “dive business buddy” on LinkedIn, Facebook, and elsewhere.
And if you enjoy reading about scuba diving and the dive industry, consider signing up to become a Medium member. It will give you unlimited access to my posts and those from thousands of other writers on Medium. If you sign up using my link, I’ll earn a small thank-you commission to pay for coffee. Thanks for your support!