Scubanomics: The Dive Industry in November 2022 — Newsletter
We have LOTS of new scuba diving industry market data, statistics & analysis for you!
We hope this message finds you well, and thank you for being our dive business buddy!
We remain committed to our mission to produce actionable market data & insights for dive industry professionals like you.
Recently, we’ve produced the following sets of market data, statistics & analysis:
- 2022 YTD Scuba Certifications in The ASIA-PACIFIC Region: Disastrous! Massive drop in tourism, price promotions by dive resorts, and rising costs from inflation: A perfect storm for the dive industry.
- Q3 Scuba Certifications in The USA in 2022: Down From 2021 & Way Down From Pre-Pandemic Levels. So far, there is no “post-pandemic comeback” for the dive industry. Instead, we are simply “back on the declining slope” we were on before COVID-19.
- 2021 Participation Rate: Scuba Diving Kept on Crashing While the Outdoor Industry Kept on Growing. After a slight increase in participation by ‘core divers’ during the first year of the pandemic, scuba diving participation crashed down in 2021 in the USA.
- Flat Sales of Scuba Diving Equipment in The USA in 2021. Dive gear sales were flat in 2021 compared to 2020 and remained significantly lower than pre-pandemic levels.
We’ve also continued our collaboration with InDepth Magazine on dive surveys supported by DAN Europe, Shearwater, and GUE:
- Survey RESULTS: Dive Computer Market, Features & Usage Among Scuba Divers (Tech & Recreational). Understanding how scuba divers use dive computers, how they plan their dives, and what features are essential or missing.
- NEW Survey: Please take part in answering this new survey on dive industry business models & practices in relation to consistency in the quality of the experience provided to scuba divers.
You can always find shortcuts to ongoing surveys & results from past studies here.
Last week, did you go to the DEMA Show in Orlando, Florida? If so, let us know how it was for you and your business, please.
Also from Darcy Kieran and The Business of Diving Institute:
- Reference book: Scuba Diving Industry Market Data & Statistics.
- Guide book: Your Career and/or Life as a Scuba Diving Instructor: How to make a good living out of your passion for scuba diving.
You may also be interested in the complete Business of Diving Institute services.
While we’re here… Would you do us a favor and forward this newsletter to a colleague or dive buddy? Let’s work together on developing and improving the dive industry!
If you received this message from a friend, you could subscribe here to stay in the know.