38 things I learned, created and experienced in the year I turned 38.
1. Celebrated my daughter’s first birthday, which ended up being the day she took her first steps.
2. Bought a new home, my second since being in Atlanta.
3. Hosted private 2 private experiences for Drake at The Gathering Spot.
4. Traveled to Hilton Head Island in May for the 4th year in a row.
5. Went on a cruise
6. Threw my wife a birthday party.
7. Purchased two pieces of artwork.
8. Formed a partnership with BMW
9. Got sued
10. Raced a Dodge Hellcat on the highway and took my car up to 154 MPH.
11. Attended the Ebony Power 100 Awards in LA and announced The Gathering Spot is opening our 3rd club in LA.
12. Created a Black Fatherhood Panel Series
13. Spoke to kids about my career journey.
14. Ate at the Versace restaurant in Miami.
15. Gave two branding workshops and moderated a few panels.
16. Created a multi-channel black history month campaign.
17. Designed a logo for a friend.
18. Bought a new car.
19. Rented out a theater for The Gathering Spot members to see Black Panther.
20. Attended T.I.’s Trap Museum grand opening and ended up on his Family Hustle show.
21. Gave someone a piece of artwork.
22. Created a journal with my son to write letters to each other.
23. Reconnected with some former colleagues in LA and NYC.
24. Did photoshoot in Beverly Hills.
25. Saw my wife get a well deserved promotion.
26. Flew my mom to Atlanta for Mother’s Day.
27. Had a really serious health scare.
28. Helped put together our 2nd Anniversary Gala
29. Then went to SxSW the next day and announced The Gathering Spot’s 2nd club location.
30. Visited the Under Armour headquarters.
31. Sponsored the A3C Executive Lounge.
32. Developed some new friendships I’m really thankful for.
33. Executed 206 events with my team.
34. Played basketball for the first time in 2 years.
35. Had a tough conversation with someone I care about.
36. Attended my colleague Regan’s wedding.
37. Read 10 books.
38. Paid off 3 credit cards.
37 Things I Learned, Created and Experienced in the year I turned 37.
2. Learned the true definition of entrepreneurship.
3. Played shuffleboard for the first time, and got pretty good at it.
4. Started jumping again for the first time since rupturing my Achilles in 2016.
5. Took my son to see the Eiffel Tower.
6. Learned that your friends won’t be your biggest cheerleaders.
7. Went to Las Vegas for the first time.
8. Started giving marketing & branding workshops.
9. Climbed to the top of a lighthouse with my son.
10. Saw Jay-Z 4:44 show twice, in Las Vegas and Brooklyn.
11. Flew in a helicopter for the first time.
12. Did an event with Hebru Brantley.
13. Cried when I found out I was having a daughter.
14. Helped The Gathering Spot double top line revenue in our 2nd year of operation.
15. Went to Art Basel.
16. Attended my sister’s wedding in NYC.
17. Ate lunch on Chicago’s Lake front with my wife, son and newborn daughter.
18. Lost my Beats by Dre. headphones.
19. Celebrated my birthday with a Champagne Party and received one of the best birthday cakes I’ve ever seen.
20. Bought a tailored suit.
21. Painted a piece of artwork for my home office.
22. Got peed on by my daughter.
23. Attended Kasim Reed’s final Mayor’s Masked Ball.
24. Helped fry some chicken and cooked a late night meal for Gabrielle Union.
25. Became cool with T.I.
26. Created some personal stationary.
27. Flew on private jets.
28. Recorded a few podcasts.
29. Built my wife a gratitude tree with personal notes about all the reasons I’m thankful for her.
30. Pitched a strategic alignment with Porsche.
31. Sold my house.
32. Built two benches and a kitchen table from scratch.
33. Cut my cable off.
34. Went to SxSW
35. Helped build the plan to expand The Gathering Spot into new cities across the country.
36. Lost multiple games of Uno to my son.
37. Sat down at a table for dinner with my father and mother for the first time ever.
36 Things I Learned, Created and Experienced in the year I turned 36.
1. Produced a short film titled Ape Shit (thanks Chris and BMC).
2. Ruptured my Achilles and had my first major surgery
3. Spent Christmas and NYE overseas.
4. Pitched a big partnership with Vevo.
5. Bought my son an XBOX, his first game system.
6. Visited the Whitney Plantation in New Orleans
7. Traveled to Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas, Mexico, France & Norway
8. Cracked my windshield.
9. Swam with fish in Mexico.
10. Worked closely with my brother Justin to create, plan and develop the first annual Sneakerball Gala in Chicago for his Kicks for The City foundation.
11. Bought two $300 chairs for $80 total. (Still happy about this)
12. Spent time with my mom and dad. First time this has ever happened in my 36 years.
13. Helped a friend who was contemplating suicide.
14. Accrued $415 in Uber charges one month.
15. Got rid of all my watches and bought one really nice one.
16. Lost a friend and younger chapter brother in a senseless act of violence.
17. Blew out a tire on the highway.
18. Painted two pieces.
19. Created a resume for my mom.
20. Met someone super accomplished while taking Uber pool.
21. Also, had someone stalk me while taking Uber pool.
22. Starting writing a book (that’s forthcoming in 2017)
23. Drove to Orlando and Miami
24. Bought a new MacBook Pro
25. Sold some photography I shot
26. Started working with an amazing team full of great people.
27. Recorded two podcasts.
28. Trademarked and developed CreATL, a platform to showcase iconic and emerging leaders of Atlanta creating IP.
29. Developed a new friendship I’m super thankful for.
30. Started mentoring a couple people.
31. Bought a new TV.
32. Connected with a couple of my line brothers I haven’t seen in years.
33. Got surprised with a birthday dinner joined by people I care about.
34. Had a open and honest conversation with my dad.
35. Watched my sister become a marketing & branding beast.
36. Got blessed with something I’d been planning and praying for.