Calling all civic technologists and change makers!
The Mayor’s Office of Civic Innovation (MOCI) is opening a call for two new Mayor’s Innovation Fellows to join us for a one-year fellowship embedded in City government.
This year, we are looking for two Fellows who will work closely together as a product design and development team. With senior level support and buy-in, the Fellows will work with changemakers and innovators in City Departments to research, design and prototype digital tools on well-scoped out, achievable projects; such as transforming a service from paper to online or supporting agile, user-centered methodologies in a Department.
We will accomplish our mission by:
- putting the needs of the public first
- being design-centric, agile, open, and data-driven
- deploying tools and services early and often
Who we’re looking for:
- Entrepreneurial self-starters who have experience leading digital initiatives independently.
- Top-notch software development, design, content, and/or product management skills.
- Embrace complexity, uncertainty. Adaptable to change.
- Passionate about public service and bringing modern technology practices into government.
- Curiosity to learn how government works.
The kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- Product Strategy: Product leads are responsible for managing the development, delivery, and continuous improvement of products while supporting establishing and managing our relationship with our Departments partners (clients).
- Front End Designer: Front end designers work with user experience and visual designers, content creators and development teammates to improve, refine, and develop a well-structured front end workflow and culture.
- User Experience Designer: User experience designers research, derive insights, generate concepts, communicate those concepts visually, and work with developers and product managers to build them.
- Visual Designer: Visual designers craft highly usable and beautiful web-based experiences for the benefit of the public.
- Software Developer (Front-End, Back-End, Full-Stack): Using modern, agile, open source web frameworks and tools, our front and back end developers work in small, cross-functional teams to produce functional, scalable web services.
About The Mayor’s Office of Civic Innovation (MOCI)
MOCI is a team within the City and County of San Francisco that champions new ideas, tools, and approaches in our government. We are a small, nimble group of civic entrepreneurs that moves quickly; like a startup inside government. We work across City Departments on a wide-range of priority projects that support innovation and modern technology in government.
The program is designed primarily for individuals with a minimum of 1–2 years of experience in technology and innovation fields. Applicants from all majors and academic disciplines will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
Fellows are expected to possess the following characteristics: (i) academic achievement, (ii) written and oral communication skills, (iii) leadership potential and ability, (iv) dedication to public service; and (v) an entrepreneurial spirit appropriate for participating in this unique program. Preference is given to applicants who can demonstrate a strong connection and commitment to innovation and technology in the public sector as well as to the City and County of San Francisco.
The City and County of San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. If you have the skills we need, that’s all that matters.
The salary for this position is within an established annual range of $55,770 to $67,782. A compensation above the maximum of this range may be considered based on a number of variables including education, background, accomplishments and experience.
How to Apply
Please complete this application: https://sfgov.forms.fm/2016fellows. The deadline to apply is February 2, 2016. The exact program start date is to be determined.