Breakaway Learning Case Study
The BreakAway Learning Project aims to inspire millions of bright young people to break away from standardized education, discover their intrinsic interests and talents, and take confident agency in navigating toward their unique learning and professional goals.
In order to achieve this, we are working to:
- Empower teens to create and track their own learning plans based on their emerging interests and talents. Connect teens as much as possible with free and low-cost online resources for individualized learning.
- Enable the emergence of mentored learning clusters at the community-level, such that mentors with specialized knowledge, leadership and passion for learning may convene similar-interested teens, setting times, locations and fees flexibly. It is understood that teens work with more enthusiasm when they share pursuits with their peers, compare ideas, identify best courseware, and nudge each other along toward greater achievement. It is also understood that high quality mentorship is a key to learning.
- Expand an online marketplace of fee-based chat as a massive database of perspectives, knowledge and experience. We believe that the core of learning is human conversation.
- Expand corporate-sponsored student competitions, so that young people may be recognized for innovative thinking around current problems.
- Over several years, to massively scale-up cluster learning as an alternative to traditional education.
- To demonstrate, by result of our project, that students demonstrate greater motivation and ownership of the learning process, and market readiness for what follows.
“BreakAway currently has many students, around 70 chat providers and 9 cluster managers. It is growing extensively in countries like Afghanistan.”
Product Development Cycle
BALP project was developed in a period of four months. Sherry Technologies believes in Agile methodologies for software development and the client was kept involved in the development process throughout.
The focus was on ensuring that the client’s needs are fully satisfied and best results are delivered in the most effective and efficient ways.
A look at the features
Innovative and Interactive Registration Process : The client wanted students to have an interactive tool to try out our curated-content search feature and we developed a word-cloud based form for the same. This word-cloud stores a student’s interests and shows relevant results for the same. Following this, it redirects the students to the regular signup process.
Multiple Signup Options : The platform allows students, chat providers and cluster mentors to signup on the same website by choosing the kind of role they would be playing.
Student Dashboard : The student dashboard has to following features :
- Notifications to keep the student updated about his progress, new feature launches and more.
- Plan to manage their course content. Students can add milestones on each article/course/video they have and can update progress.
- Chats to provide students options to enroll in different chats by making payments to the chat providers.
- Reviews to give reviews to chat providers and receive reviews from chat providers.
- Bookmarks to store some search results as bookmarks to include them later in their plan.
- Reports to provide the student to generate his own report for including it in his resume.
Chat Provider Dashboard : This dashboard has to following features :
- Reviews to give reviews to students.
- Add Chat to add chats to breakaway so that students can enroll in these chats after payments.
- Chat Bookings to view the bookings made by students.
- Chat Payments to track payments made by different students.
Cluster Mentor Dashboard : This dashboard has to following features :
- Add Cluster to add cluster to breakaway so that students can enroll.
- Cluster Bookings to view the bookings made by students.
Admin Dashboard : This manages the entire platform which is in control of the BALP members. It has all CRUD operations for all the features on the platform along with some upcoming features to be launched.
Blog Integration : The platform directly integrates the blogs which are added to the associated BloggerSpot account.
Search Engine Optimization
The platform is SEO optimized and integrated with Google Analytics to provide an in-depth information about the usage of the platform. The SEO optimization allows students to discover this platform through Google using important keywords.
The platform also has optimized images and static files to make the platform faster.