Oh! Bakyuuun / Ghoul Panic
- Developed by Eighting/Raizing (prior to Shinobu Yagawa leaving the company in 2000 and becoming a subsidiary of COLOPL 17 years later)
- Published by Bandai Namco Entertainment (initially Namco pre-merger)
- Released in 1999 in the arcades and Spring 2000 for the PSX
- 1 or 2-player first-person shooter
- Spin-off of Gun Bullet/Point Blank that features a haunted house theme (similar to the original Golly! Ghost!) and 3D graphics (as those seen in the Namco System 21, 22 and 11 arcade system boards)
- Not released in North America
This spin-off title features a haunted house theme (similar to the original Golly! Ghost!) and 3D graphics (as those seen in the Namco System 21, 22 and 11 arcade system boards). Witchina (Majonna in Japan), the evil witch, along with her evil minions, has taken over the town and turned everyone into cats. She has taken up residence in the local mansion and it’s up to the two kids, Kevin and Lisa, who have been turned into anthropomorphic cats but happened to have Guncons (G-Con in Europe) on them at the time, to defeat Witchina and return the town to normal.
The game was not released in the North American market, possibly due to Witchina wearing panties, the skeletons in one of the stages have a reminiscent of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”, and Lisa wearing possibly nothing under her long-sleeved shirt in her cat form (she wears shorts in her normal form). There is fan art of Lisa from that game drawn by Chana.
- Lisa is the female protagonist and is always controlled by Player 1. She has pink hair tied in a ponytail and green eyes. She wears a turquoise and purple long-sleeved shirt, orange shorts (does not appear in her cat form), turquoise (green in the official artwork, white in the JP box art) Pete Maravich-styled socks and red sneakers.
- Kevin is the male protagonist and is always controlled by Player 2. He has blue spiky hair and blue eyes. He wears a pair of goggles (similar to Taichi “Tai” Yagami/Kamiya from Digimon), a red hoodie with the stylized “X” on the front, an orange ascot, blue jeans, and white/blue sneakers.
- Frankie (Frankun in Japan) is the game’s first boss.
- Vladie (Draco in Japan) is the game’s second boss and Witchina’s father.
- Witchina (Majon’na in Japan) is the game’s antagonist and the third boss, who turned people into cats.
- Mama Mia (Madam Ohkan in Japan) is the final boss of the game.
The game featured several modes aside from the aforementioned single-player Adventure. There was arcade mode in which the player would have no control over the direction they traveled in, but instead would merely follow a set course through the haunted mansion, taking on the various mini-games and challenges as they went.
Survival mode involved the player trying to clear as many stages as possible before they ran out of lives. Practice mode allowed the player to select from any of the mini-games and practice completing them as many times as they liked.
Finally, Party mode was specifically designed for multiplayer, allowing up to 8 players to compete against each other by going through the different stages and trying to earn as many points as possible.
Before the stage starts, the game tells the player what to meet the quota. If they fail to meet the quota, shooting prohibited targets (cats, ghost bombs, other player’s color), or failing to avoid the bosses’ attacks, they will lose a life, and the game ends when the player’s lives have exhausted. If playing two players, the player who has the most shots or percentage will get a point. The player who has the most points is the winner.
See you in the next game review. I hope you’re not scared of ghosts…