Celo Wallet Guide: A CeloCLI + Ledger cheat sheet for cGLD holders
Latest update: May 2020
This guide will go through the basic commands that cGLD holders will need to run on the Celo network. This will allow interaction with the Celo Protocol and manage Celo Gold holdings.
If you haven’t already, check out our Step-By-Step cGLD Ledger Tutorial.
The official CeloCLI documentation can be found here: Introduction — Celo Docs.
Connecting to a Celo node
The CeloCLI tool must be set to interact with a synced Celo node to be able to transact and query for blockchain data.
celocli config:set --node https://rc1-forno.celo-testnet.org/
Generating Celo addresses
Ledger Nano’s are able to generate 1000s of addresses, with each address having its own index.
Generate the first address of the ledger by running the following command:
celocli account:list --useLedger --ledgerAddresses 1
This outputs both the account that is present on the Celo node, and also the Ledger’s address. The outputs will be categorised as follows, so as to not confuse between the node (Keystore) and Ledger addresses.
ledgerAddresses parameter will produce further addresses:
Checking your account and locked token balance
celocli account:balance <your-address>
Sending transactions of cGLD or cUSD
celocli transfer:gold --from=<your-address> --to=<to-address> --value=<amount> --useLedger --ledgerAddresses Xcelocli transfer:dollars --from=<your-address> --to=<to-address> --value=<amount> --useLedger --ledgerAddresses X
Staking cGLD tokens
This process involves the following:
- Register your account to be able to lock Celo Gold and participate in the Celo Protocol operations.
celocli account:register --from <your-address> --ledgerAddresses=1 --useLedger
2. Locking your cGLD tokens. Make sure to leave at least 5 cGLD unlocked for fees.
celocli lockedgold:lock --from <your-address> --value <number> --ledgerAddresses=1 --useLedger
3. Ensure the Gold was locked successfully.
celocli lockedgold:show <your-address> --ledgerAddresses=1 --useLedger
4. Vote for your preferred Validator Group. The Validator Group must have an elected validator to earn rewards from voting your Celo Gold.
celocli election:vote --from <your-address> --for <validator-group-address> --value 1000000 --ledgerAddresses=1 --useLedger
If you’re looking for a Validator Group to vote for, our Simply Staking validator group ( 0xAcdf897493A6000dbe256791E8A2beCbb405FD4F ) incorporates validators operated from our private and security-focused datacentre in Malta, led by a team with years of experience operating within the blockchain space.
5. Votes must be activated after the epoch in which they are submitted, to begin earning rewards. Epochs on Celo currently last 24 hours. This means that this command must be run 24+ hours after casting of votes.
celocli election:activate --from <your-address> --ledgerAddresses=1 --useLedger
Trying to activate votes prior to the current epoch ending will result in the following message:
6. Confirm votes were cast by checking your account’s election votes cast.
celocli election:show 0x97f7333c51897469E8D98E7af8653aAb468050a3 --voter
I hope you find this step-by-step guide useful! I would be happy to hear your thoughts and answer any questions on Twitter https://twitter.com/cremonafran.
Stay tuned to Simply VC for more Celo guides and documentation:
- Website: https://simply-vc.com.mt
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/simply_vc
- Telegram: https://t.me/SimplyVC
Find out more about Celo:
- CeloCLI documentation: https://docs.celo.org/command-line-interface/introduction
- Celo Gold holder guide: https://docs.celo.org/celo-gold-holder-guide/quick-start
- Website: https://celo.org/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CeloHQ
- Telegram: https://t.me/celohq
- Developer documentation: https://celo.org/build
- Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/6yWMkgM
- Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/CeloHQ