Opportunities For Women #39
Compiled by Anthonia Abraham, Ibukunoluwa Okusanya and Ummulkhair Abdulrasheed
Hey sis! Welcome to another edition of Opportunities for Women!
I am particularly excited for this week’s edition because we’re on the road to 40! And also because it’s salary week!🔥
As we approach the end of the month and look ahead to August, think of those dreams you had at the start of the year. Look forward to our jobs, and scholarships, coupled with programs, workshops and resources to make you the perfect career woman that can maintain a work-life balance.
Read and be inspired!
Jobs, Apprenticeships, and Internships
UI / UX Designer (Contractor / Freelance + Remote) at Pein Real Estate
Areas of focus will include:
- Deliver UX/ UI designs from concept through to prototype to meet requirements from across the business. You’ll recommend and create best in class customer journeys across our customer-facing websites and apps, using tools such as Figma and Sketch.
- Ensure relevant, engaging journeys are created for both trade and retail customers to support services and our new propositional customer-facing products, with an innovative approach.
- Work with the wider online team and product owners to ensure that the UX/ UI designs meet all requirements and that all work is delivered on schedule.
- Maintain high accessibility standards across customer journeys, whilst aligning with existing digital brand guidelines and producing style guides where applicable.
- Ensure all designs are frequently shared and walked through with key stakeholders and the digital experience teams to ensure requirements are met and in line with expectations, amending where required.
- This is primarily a remote-based role with visits to our office on an Adhoc basis as required.
- You should be based in Lagos and must have a guarantor.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- A “customer 1st mindset”, passionate about all aspects of UX & UI.
- A Portfolio demonstrating your previous experience working within a UX / UI role.
- Knowledge of how to use prototyping design software such as Figma.
- Knowledge of UX/UI best practices across eCommerce, Customer Profiling, and User Research.
Deadline: August 16, 2022
Engineer Manager at Canonical
The BootStack team designs, builds, and operates modern distributed systems on private infrastructure for customers.
From Kubernetes to OpenStack and everything in-between, you’ll be working with the latest technology in a fast-paced engineering environment. As a BootStack Engineering Manager for the BootStack team, you will be responsible for managing the engineers that oversee day-to-day managed service of customer environments, including customer service management, managed services operations and consistent product improvement engineering.
Collaboration with customers, product engineering, and operations is critical to success.
- Bachelors (or equivalent Degree level) education in a technology field
- Proven track record of at least 5 years professional experience of either software delivery using Python, Go, C, C++, Java, or similar and/or managing operations teams
- Proven experience with OpenStack
- Demonstrated strong commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Experience with Linux system administration, Ubuntu/Debian a plus
- Strong communication and cooperation skills
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Experience working in and managing distributed teams
- Technical aptitude for understanding complex distributed systems
- Knowledge about common design patterns (interfaces, etc).
- Experience with cloud topologies and technologies
- Travel to team and company events and customer meetings, roughly 20% or less
Deadline: 6th August 2022
Project Manager at Turner and Townsend
The Project/Construction Manager is responsible for the following:
- Providing full project management services and on-site construction oversight and supporting the client representative in delivering successful project outcomes.
- Manage end to end project delivery of construction projects in Nigeria
- Support the Project Director in the management of the commission
- Collaborate with the overall cross-functional project team
- Check contracts for services for commissions under your control are in place with all clients/sub-consultants in line with group policy
- Help to establish the overall success criteria for the project, including time, cost, technical and performance parameters
- Project planning, including advising the production of the detailed project plan
- Advice upon the procurement of resources-design and construction
- Monitor and apply performance management techniques, including the use of KPIs to improve project performance
- Set up and manage the change control process
- Monitor and advice upon projects finances/budgets
- Assist in managing the flow of project information between the team and the client, through regular meetings and written communications
- Ensure the production of the formal projects progress and other reports
- Manage and monitor design team in accordance with commission scope
- Manage and monitor contractor in accordance with commission scope
- Develop appropriate contractor interface
- You must have at least Bachelor’s degree in Build Environment, Construction Management, or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of 8 years proven experience in a similar role in project management
- Excellent report writing skills
Deadline: 10th August 2022
Mobile Developer at Creditville
We are seeking a resourceful and hands-on Mobile Developer to join our rapidly growing development team. To collaborate with internal teams to develop functional mobile applications, while working in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate should have a serious passion for user-centered design and development; believes in constantly evolving and improving through iteration, testing, user research, and experimentation; and has the agility to go from the whiteboard design of an application all the way to superior code implementation.
Ultimately, the job holder should be able to design and build the next generation of our mobile applications.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Programming in React Native
- Will be an independent worker (You will be assigned a project and most time you will be delivering the entire project solution by yourself)
- Writing technical documentation
- Translating Figma prototype to React Native code
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university.
- Professional certification in relevant Computer Programming.
- Minimum of three (3) years of work experience as a Mobile Developer
Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards
Chevening Scholarship 2023 in the United Kingdom
The British Chevening scholarship is a Fully Funded UK Government Scholarship program. You can apply for the Masters/MPhil degree programs under a Chevening scholarship program. The UK Chevening Scholarship is open to any international student from any country. It will cover your Airfare, Meals, Accommodation, Visa, Tuition Fee, Books, Allowance, Health insurance, and any other fee. The Applications for Chevening 2023 Scholarship will open on 2nd August 2022
Deadline: 2nd November 2022
1,000 Reach Oxford Scholarship UK
GREAT scholarships are scholarships to study at UK universities across a variety of subjects, for students from 18 countries. Each scholarship is worth a minimum of £10,000 towards tuition fees for a one-year taught postgraduate course. Each scholarship is jointly funded by the UK government’s GREAT Britain Campaign and the British Council with participating UK higher education institutions.
Deadline: Not stated
Excellence Major Scholarships
This Scholarship is Co-financed by the Agency for French Education Abroad and the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs. It Allows International Students to pursue their Higher Studies in France.
Deadline: Individual scholarships apply
DSU Scholarship 2023 | Italy Government Scholarship | Fully Funded
DSU is a Fully Funded Italy Government Scholarship. The Scholarship is open to pursuing bachelor’s, and Masters’s degree programs from Top Italian Universities under a DSU Regional scholarship program. The winners of the Scholarships are entitled to a sum of money, free use of the Canteen and, if they have won a place in accommodation, to free allocation of a place in accommodation in the University Residences or, if no places are available, to payment of a contribution for rent.
Deadline: 6th September 2022
Ford Fund Fellowship 2022 for Next-Gen Entrepreneurs
The Ford Fund Fellowship is a program designed to equip 25 next-gen entrepreneurs with the skills, resources, and experience to scale the impactful ventures they are building. Ford Fund Fellows will learn advanced skills in entrepreneurship and leadership, have the opportunity to earn seed funding, garner experience, and build a global network, as they lay the foundation to empower many more individuals and transform their communities.
Deadline: 15th September 2022
Access Bank Womenpreneur Pitch-a-ton Africa Award 2022
The Womenpreneur Pitch-a-ton Africa was the first women-in-business support initiative of its kind in the industry offered by the Access Bank W Initiative. The program in its maiden edition provided financial grants worth N9Million to the top 5 applicants with a free mini MBA certification for 50 women entrepreneurs in Nigeria. This is done in conjunction with the International Finance Corporation (IFC, a member of the World Bank Group). This year, the program is being extended to 6 other African countries where Access Bank’s W initiative has its presence. These countries are Nigeria, Ghana, Rwanda, Zambia, Sierra-Leone, Gambia and Congo hence the tag name “Womenpreneur Pitch-A-Ton Africa
Deadline: 19th August 2022
World Bank Africa Fellowship Programme 2023 for sub-Saharan African Graduates
The World Bank Group (WBG) Africa Fellowship Program targets young talented African nationals who are completing or recently completed a PhD in an area relevant to the World Bank’s work. The fellowship program has been very successful since its inception, building a strong pipeline of young African talent interested in a career in development, in international institutions, African governments, think tanks, and academia.
Deadline: 25th August 2022
Programmes, Workshops and Conferences
Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition
The Nigeria annual international conference and exhibition (Naice) will focus on the innovative opportunities currently applied in the industry to maximize value from oil and gas exploration and production.
Date: Aug 1–3, 2022
Location: Eko hotel and suites, VI
Organizers: SPE International
Free WhatsApp Business Master Class
You will learn:
1. How to put up your products and services on WhatsApp.
2. The right ways to market your product or services on WhatsApp.
3. How to make the best of WhatsApp business tools.
Date: August 10
Nigeria Fintech Forum
Nigeria fintech forum is a premium conference, exhibition and networking platform catering to public and private sector stakeholders across Nigeria’s financial tech industry. The forum will feature presentations, keynote speeches, panel sessions, exhibitions and fireside charts.
Date: August 3, 2022.
Location: The Civic Center
Call for change makers: IUCN Leaders Forum 2022( Fully Funded)
The IUCN leaders forum is an annual event gathering leaders and change makers from around the world, in person, to discuss innovative solutions to critical global challenges, make bold commitments, build partnerships and catalyze action for impactful change in nature conservation and sustainability
Date: October 13–15, 2022
Deadline: August 5th, 2022
Zivang Business Summit/Conference
In line with the theme “Embracing Digital Technology in Business: Emerging tool for sustainability in a post COVID World”.
This event will bring together business owners, Top level CEOs, professionals from diverse sectors to discuss various topics to educate, enlighten and inform participants for free on ethics of business, entrepreneurship to mention but a few.
Date: August 11–12, 2022
Time: 12:30pm — 3pm
Location: American Corner Ikeja, 42,Local airport road, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
ArtMesh: Open Mic + Meetup for Creatives
ArtMesh is an open mic + networking session for creatives featuring writers, poets, storytellers, artists and lovers of art. The program is held at the American Corner Ikeja Lagos.
Date: August 5th ,2022
Location: American Corner, Ikeja, 42, Local Airport Road, Ikeja, Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria.
Medium is an open platform where readers find dynamic thinking, and where experts and undiscovered voices can share their writing on any topic.
This is a dedicated place on Twitter to connect, share and get people closer to discussions they care about.
Jenni is the ultimate content assistant that you can take with you while writing your blogs, copy, or anything else.
Free PPT templates & Google Slides themes for your presentations.
Free for any use, no registration or download limits.
HER STORY IS EVERY WOMAN’S STORY. Founded in 2016, the Herstory blog tells the stories of modern, historic, and mythic women.
Healthy Hair Tribe
Best hair care practices for all types of hair
Have any new opportunities and resources? Then put them in the comments! We’d love to hear from you!
Anthonia Omonye Abraham
Anthonia Abraham is a final-year physiotherapy student with a bespoken history in volunteering within health, human rights, and content creation. Connect with Anthonia on LinkedIn.
Ibukunoluwa Okusanya is a content and lifestyle writer. She’s also a media and pop culture enthusiast. Her passion for media has driven her to gain experience in several entertainment companies. She’s interested in telling real-life stories cutting across all genres. Connect with Ibukun on Instagram.
Ummulkhair Abdulrasheed is a Digital Marketer and Content Creator. She loves to write and is still in the learning process. She also started her mental health foundation (Let’s Live Well Foundation) and hopes to impact as many lives as she can. Connect with her on Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Edited by Chiamaka Dike
Chiamaka Dike is a content writer, podcaster, and public relations executive. When she isn’t writing and managing communications for brands, you can catch her eating Jollof rice and watching Netflix. Connect with her on Instagram and Twitter.
Published by Yetunde Onafuye
Yetunde is a storyteller, podcaster, and a graduate student with interest in the social and political history of post-independence Africa. She’s also the co-lead editor at Sisterly HQ. In her free time, she reads and reviews books, engages in social volunteering, and watches tons of dramas and TV shows. Connect with Yetunde on LinkedIn and Instagram.