The way Sketch Team releases the new version of the tool is great. Making incremental improvements, let us quickly acknowledge with new features and delight ourselves with speed improvements. Sketch 57 introduced a new feature that I enjoyed a lot — working with items collected in grids & lists is now a real pleasure!
First, let’s see what is new, improved, in Sketch 57:
- Reorder layers in a Smart Distribute selection — reorder elements that have even spacing between them.
- Better Boolean Operations — sometimes some strange things were happening here, but now it should be fine!
- Own headings for Solid & Gradient Color Popover
- Visual improvements to Rotate tool
- Copy & Paste rich-text
- Changed shortcuts — Send Backward is now ⌘ [, and Bring Forward is ⌘]. Send to Back is now ⌘ ⌥ [ and Bring to Front is ⌘ ⌥ ].
- Speed improvements (scrolling lists and grids).
- Option Customize default layer style moved to new location
OK, now let’s see how to use the most important new features:
How to use Smart Distribute Reordering
This is my favorite feature of this update. Select multiple items that are evenly distributed in a row or column (if they are not, use “Tidy” button). Now, you will notice a new handle “circle” in the center of a specific element. Click and hold, now you can drag it between other elements. This way you can reorder all lists and grids quickly.
See how it works:
How to Copy & Paste Rich Text
Now you can quickly paste rich text in Sketch. You can do this by choosing “Paste as Rich Text” in the “Edit” menu.
How to Set a New Default Layer Style
To make a New Default Layer Style, select a Layer and open “Layer” menu, go to “Style.” At the end of the options, you will notice a new option: “Set as Default Style.”
Quick incremental updates with noticeable improvements. As I mentioned, it is an excellent strategy because it lets us play around new features. I am sure that thanks to the reordering with Smart Distribute, we will boost our workflow when we work with lists & grids.
By the way…
If you plan to start a new project soon or to organize your UI Library — do not waste your time creating everything from scratch. Feel free to use the Prime — Design System Kit. See Prime in action.
To make it easier there is a gift 🎁 Use MEDIUM10 offer code to get 10% Off.
You can also Create User Flows faster in Sketch — With SQUID you can create User Flows directly in Sketch the sketch file with your artboards. Everything may be done within a couple of clicks. See how it works.
If you would like to read more stories like this feel free to follow me on one of more social media platforms:
Thanks for reading!