If I could tell you one thing that is common among all the great heroes you’ve ever heard of, whether fictional or real, it’s that they all have a “Purpose”. And all their actions revolve around that true Purpose. Undoubtedly, for most people, it’s not easy to find your purpose, but it’s crucial. I believe that…
Life is all about short-term goals and a long-term purpose.
…and this is the mantra we are going to talk about in this article. Once you understand this and implement it in to your life, nothing can stop you.
Life without a purpose is like sailing in a sea without a compass. You have no idea where you are heading, but you are still exhausting your resources with each passing day to get nowhere. You leave things to luck. If you are lucky, you will get to see the land, otherwise you will reach a brutal end.
Purpose gives you Direction, Right Direction is crucial for Focus, and Focus leads to Success.
Without a purpose, you wake up every day to work on tasks that don’t really matter to you. You will be exhausting all your energy doing tasks that serve no purpose to you, only to others. This is why having a purpose is so important.
Someone once told me that everyone has the same purpose, and that’s “Happiness”. While I wasn’t quite satisfied with the statement, I did understand the main idea behind it.
A True Purpose is something that gives you True Happiness.
Most people don’t understand this simple thing and that leads to a False Purpose, which is more dangerous than having no purpose at all. Here are a few things that you need to consider to avoid having a False Purpose.
- Don’t choose a materialistic purpose. Having a faster car or a bigger house is not a purpose. It’s a trap because once you own these things, you will realise that the happiness doesn’t last long. There will always be something better to buy. Materialistic Purposes give you temporary happiness.
- Your purpose should not revolve around a person. A very basic rule, but people still start making others their purpose. A parent might feel like their purpose is to make their kid successful. A teenager might feel like their purpose is to make that person they have a crush on fall in love with them. This is where you give the control of your happiness in someone else’s hands. People can always fail you. Your purpose should revolve around you or something that is in your control.
The goal here is to find something that gives your life meaning, something that gives you everlasting happiness, and something that will put a smile on your face when you are about to die. That’s True Purpose.
Once you have a purpose, you can take little steps towards realizing your purpose every day by completing meaningful tasks. I call them Short-Term Goals. If purpose is a plant, then short-term goals are like water. Your short-term goals will decide whether you can reach to your purpose or not.
A short-term goal is a goal that takes you one step closer to your long term Purpose.
We all have 24 hours in a day. The difference is made in how you decide to spend these 24 hours better than others. Let me give you a single tip: No matter what day it is, have a daily goal in your routine that will get you closer to your purpose. You will still have secondary goals in your life, and their number will always be greater than you primary short-term goals, but now you know your priorities.
This is something that I have learned recently. Nothing is static about life. With time, you will evolve, and so will your Purpose. There is nothing bad about it. In fact, this is what makes life interesting. As you move closer towards your purpose, it will start becoming more and more clear to you. That’s how your purpose evolves. But do keep in mind that it has to be a True Purpose. Don’t get distracted.
Finding the purpose is a life-long adventure, enjoy the journey.
Even if you complete the journey towards your purpose, that’s not the end. The true happiness will always lead you to another true purpose. Because once you start living with this mindset, you will fall in love with the journey towards the purpose. And like any traveler, the end of one journey is the start of another.
Now that you know all about how to live a Purposeful Life. Let me give you a head start on how to find a Purpose, because I know you cannot find a purpose in a day. So here are the two most important things to start with if you don’t know your purpose yet.
- Start doing what you are passionate about. Most of the people find purpose in their passion. Start making short-term goals around your passion, and you will find that along, the way this will help you define your True Purpose.
- Start helping others. Most people find it hard to find their passion. If you know any such people (and I’m sure you do), you can start helping them. Do remember not to make them your purpose. Make small controllable goals to help others. You will definitely find true happiness in that.
Guys, I hope this small guide has helped you get a step closer to discovering your True Purpose. Whatever your purpose is, make some difference in this world. Because this world need purposeful people like you.
Hey, I hope you liked this article, and if you did, please hit those claps👏🏼and share this with your friends and family, and help them live a purposeful and happy life.
If you enjoyed this story, you can check out more like this on our publication The Skynox Blog. We write about product development, lifestyle, health & fitness, and more interesting stuff. We also run a global initiative for open-source development, Team XenoX. If you’re a developer, you can check out and contribute to our open-source projects by starting here.
At Skynox, we help young startups launch their MVPs. We believe the MVP development should be:
- Fast — So you can test your idea and iterate on it quickly!
- Simple — So you only present the purest form of your core idea and don’t confuse your target customers.
- Cost-effective — So you don’t end up spending a fortune on something that will never give you any returns.
If you’re looking for a brilliant team to help you develop your MVP, get in touch!