Fej (Yuval) Shmuelevitz mesél az izraeli startup kultúráról
1) Can you tell us about your project in general?
Waze is a fun, community based mapping, traffic & navigation app. with millions of drivers from across the globe joining forces to outsmart traffic, save time, gas money, and improve daily commuting for all.
By simply driving around with Waze open, you’re already contributing tons of real-time traffic & road info to your local driving community. You can also actively report accidents, hazards, police and other events you see on the road, and get road alerts on your route too. Find the cheapest gas station along your route with community-shared fuel prices. Waze also makes it fun and simple to meet up and coordinate with friends on the road.
2) How your project connects to the surrounding startup ecosystem in your city?
The Waze application is designed for daily commuters, many of them coming from the startup community. These users help us, as a crowdsource project, in many aspects such as beta testing the version, providing input of bugs and problems as well as improving our map.
Along with a highly innovative, hard working and vibrant mentality, the Tel-aviv Metro startup ecosystem is also known for its community focused vibe and at it’s core, the shared value of helping others in need. The Waze app shares this mentality. Waze, a crowd-sourced traffic & navigation app, offers you the fastest route, every day with the help of drivers in your area, who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute.
3) What are the main pros and cons of Tel Aviv if you are founding a startup?
The main pros are:
1. Abundance of Venture Capital companies in the area
2. Local Hi Tech talent conveniently located in the area
3. Available office space and infrastructure
The main cons:
1. Very high costs associated with running a Tel-Aviv based startup
2. Very high salaries which are affected by the high valuation of the local currency
3. Commuting and parking is very time consuming
4) Could you imagine doing what you do somewhere else? Do you intend to move to another city?
While we do not have plans to move to another city, there are several areas further North and East of Tel-Aviv Metro which can host such startups and of course the Silicon Valley in the USA is an outstanding place for startup incubation.