Membership Driven Purpose Aligned with Growing Member Benefits
The Data Integrity in Supply Chains Association Inc. (DISCA) is a not for profit association incorporated in Australia. It is a membership-based association that is focused on harnessing members’ resources to promote and advance the mission of the association and deliver membership benefits.
Calling All Members — Welcome to the DISCA
The Mission of DISCA is:
- Support the Smart Trade Networks projects ecosystem to deliver systems that provide data integrity in supply chains.
- Enable the production, verification and maintenance of a body of common knowledge in a dynamic digital ecosystem that Members can depend upon as the basis for engaging in financially sustainable, value-creating transactions in global supply chains.
- Curate, broker and empower people, communities and projects to make use of these capabilities to deliver authenticated, trustworthy products and services that enhance supply chain community sustainability, human wellbeing and improve the health of the planet.
- Support ongoing research and development and global education to empower communities to participate in socially responsible and ecologically sustainable value creation.
- Focus on activities that enhance the health of people, communities and the planet.
Membership is open to all. Ownership of STN confirms membership. Governance is via the multisig tools, which enables an organic development of multisigs to efficiently govern association focus and resource allocations.
DISCA has been working with Smart Trade Networks to curate a global portfolio of projects that align with the association’s mission. Opportunities to invest directly in these projects or enterprises are now open. Investing means a contribution to network development and is therefore recognised via allocation of STNs.
Other contributions of effort and resources will also be recognised.
Emergence & Provenance
DISCA has been operating for the past 2+ years as an unincorporated association. Its mission has been largely unchanged in that time. Prior to the unincorporated association forming, the work was undertaken from a ‘grassroots’ industry+community level through the work of individuals, organisations and businesses with shared objectives to improve the functioning of global supply chains.
DISCA’s guiding principles, inspired by the principles of the global alliance of cooperatives, are:
- Voluntary and open membership. Anyone or any organisation / enterprise purchasing or earning STN membership reward tokens are deemed to be members of DISCA and are entitled to participate in the activities and work of the association and to benefit from the work of the association. Membership is relinquished when no STN tokens are held.
- Democratic member control. Members actively participate in setting their policies and making decisions. We use multisig protocols (see Governance below) to give effect to membership governance.
- Member economic participation. Members contribute equitably to, and democratically control, the capital of DISCA. At least part of that capital is usually the common property of DISCA. Members usually receive limited compensation, if any, on capital subscribed as a condition of membership. Members allocate surpluses for any or all of the following purposes: developing DISCA, possibly by setting up reserves, part of which at least would be indivisible; benefiting members in proportion to their transactions with Smart Trade Networks ecosystem enterprises; and supporting other activities approved by the membership.
- Autonomy and Independence. DISCA is an autonomous, self-help organisation controlled by its members. If DISCA enters into agreements with other organisations, including governments, or raises capital from external sources, it does so on terms that ensure democratic control by its members and maintain its cooperative autonomy.
- Education, training and information. DISCA provides education and training for its members, elected representatives, managers, and employees so they can contribute effectively to the development of DISCA and its affiliated initiatives. DISCA will actively inform the general public — particularly young people and opinion leaders — about the nature and benefits of DISCA and the Smart Trade Networks ecosystem.
- Cooperative. DISCA serves its members most effectively and strengthens the principles of cooperation and mutuality by working together with other like-minded organisations through local, national, regional and international structures.
- Concern for community. DISCA works for the sustainable development of its constituent communities through policies approved by their members.
STN: Membership Rewards Token
The STN token is the Membership Rewards token that runs in parallel to, and interacts with, the supply chain ecosystem that is emerging on the infrastructure.
The STN is issued by a not for profit association — Data Integrity in Supply Chains Association Inc., (DISCA) — and provides a mechanism to track membership contributions and participation in the development and growth of the ecosystem.
Benefits of Membership
Benefits of membership include:
- Access to STN Infrastructure to develop projects. This enables rapid prototyping, customisation and deployment of systems to support project growth. This is beneficial to enterprises or organisations whether they are small or big;
- Access to the Credentialed Marketplaces, to sell products and services, and at varying levels of membership benefit from discounts depending on your tokens tally;
- Access to education and capacity building resources, via our Learn & Earn initiatives;
- Access to governance mechanisms across the length and breadth of the ecosystem, via our Multisig architecture including but not limited to shaping R&D priorities, project resource deployment, effort rewards distributions etc.;
- Access to tools and support to initiate projects “from the ground up” to track value flows and reach across the ecosystem to seek synergies and complementary activities;
- Access to network membership bonuses based on network velocity and volume by member enterprises and member consumers;
- Access to early-bird opportunities to participate in ecosystem projects;
- Access to opportunities to operate Network Archive Nodes and be recognised and rewarded for this effort with monthly Membership Reward Tokens. Members who purchase 1,000 STN tokens before 1 October 2021 will receive a pre-configured STN Raspberry Pi Archive Node; and
- Access to STN Privacy Smartphones. These will be available in early 2022 to members who purchase 2,000 STN tokens before 1 October 2021; and
- For a limited period, memberships purchased prior to 1 October 2021 will also receive a complimentary allocation of STNPay tokens for use in the Marketplaces.
The STN membership reward token does not have a minting limit. So it’s not about scarcity but about creating virtuous cycles of abundance. It will be minted as the network grows. Its underlying value is driven by factors such as:
- Volume and velocity of activity across the network undertaken by network enterprises and projects; and
- Membership benefits as described.
The membership value will be driven by the activity of members — as producers, merchants, brand owners and entrepreneurs on one hand, and as consumers of products and services on the other.
The association was founded by the following people and organisations:
- Warwick Powell
- Charles Turner-Morris
- Ross Honeyman
- Thomas Miller
- Greg Narracott
- Patrick Wu
- Xu Qilin
- Sister City Partners Limited (a not for profit company)
- CRC Mutual Limited (a not for profit company)
- Consumer And Small Business Association (unincorporated)
- BeefLedger Limited
- SCP Capital Pty Ltd
DISCA is governed by its articles of association. To give effect to its articles, DISCA recently embarked on an experimental program of decentralised technology-enabled self-governance by way of the association’s Multisig Tree (see the Tree here). The Multisig Tree is an organic construct, enabled by the underlying STN multisig contract. This enables multisig groups to be formed as the need arises, to enable activated and localised governance on issues such as resource priorities and allocations, tracking of effort and such like.
As an organic tool, new multisig groupings can be formed for use for small and large projects; as well as for short- and long-term initiatives. The multisig tool can be used to support neighbours coordinating resources for a street party, or a sporting club harnessing and tracking resources for a working bee right through to commercial project emergence and development. Joint venture projects are particularly well-suited to being governed using multisig protocols.
About Smart Trade Networks
Smart Trade Networks is a general purpose blockchain technology-enabled supply chain asset registration, tracking and trading ecosystem.
Smart Trade Networks undertakes R&D in cross-border supply chain and trade systems in collaboration with researchers at Queensland University of Technology and the Future Food Systems Cooperative Research Centre, in Australia.
More information about Smart Trade Networks can be found at:
Medium Article: What is Smart Trade Networks?