Starting from the start
TNG Times| Vol 1 Issue 1 | Updates from May to Aug 2020
Talent and Growth (TNG) Department, a new department of the SMUBIA, started its journey in Apr 2020. Our aim is to bring exclusive opportunities (events and projects) to our Senior Data Associates (SDAs), that is, the Data Associates (DAs) who have graduated from our flagship Data Associate Programme (DAP).
Our initial months were spent on brainstorming a line of events for our SDAs, and starting May 2020, we launched some of our initiatives.
Highlights from May to Aug 2020
SDA Project Continuation
- Throughout Summer 2020, some of our SDAs (2019–20 Term 2 Batch) decided to continue improving their DAP projects.
- The continued projects include a lyrics machine, a music generator, gender prediction with song lyrics, analysis of TED Talk data and a food recommender.
Check out the project page here for Git repositories and deployed apps
- Throughout the year, Talent and Growth (TNG) Team aims to roll out project opportunities for our SDAs to work with external stakeholders and get necessary real-world experience on application of data science/ analytics concepts.
- Our SDAs successfully completed a project with Orca Active, a female athleisure brand. The project helps Orca Active to identify customers of major influence via Social Network Analytics (SNA). To know more, visit the project page here and the medium article here.
Keep a look-out on ‘Our BIA Fambam’ telegram group as we bring to you more opportunities in future
BIA League (First Competition)
- BIA League was a Kaggle Competition Series between Aug and Sep 2020.
- The first competition was held from 8 Aug to 15 Aug 2020.
- The participants had to predict Airbnb prices using regression modelling.
- The proud winners include: Haodi Qi (1st), Fabian Toh Yi Quan (2nd), and Hartanto Ario Widjaya (3rd).
Scroll below to the ‘Let’s Learn!’ section for some quick reads on regression.
- TNG Team also launched Beyond DAP, an 8-week long project sprint between Aug and Oct 2020 for our SDAs to reapply their data analytics and machine learning skills
This issue of TNG Times brings to you some resources on the topic of regression, also the topic of our first Kaggle Competition. We hope you find them useful!
- 7 Regression Techniques you should know!
- One-Hot-Encoding, Multicollinearity and the Dummy Variable Trap
- Interaction effect in multiple regression
- How to Choose a Feature Selection Method For Machine Learning
- Understanding Regression Error Metrics in Python
That’s it for this issue. Thanks for reading!
About TNG Times: TNG Times is a publication of the Talent and Growth (TNG) Team to keep our Senior Data Associates (SDAs) updated with the past and upcoming initiatives. We also share a few data science/ analytics resources that we think will be helpful and interesting. For any queries on the publication, reach out to TNG Director — Sanaya Mahajan.
About TNG: Talent and Growth (TNG) Department, a new department of the SMUBIA, started its journey in Mar 2020. Our aim is to bring exclusive opportunities (events and projects) to our Senior Data Associates (SDAs), that is, the Data Associates (DAs) who have graduated from our flagship Data Associate Programme (DAP). The people behind TNG include: Head of TNG, Wa Thone and five TNG Directors, Mak Jun Hao Kelionel, Neel Ketan Modha, Sanaya Mahajan, Tammi Chng and Yar Khine Phyo.