Snowflake Developers & Community Update — January 2023
In this monthly update, we share handpicked resources and news about Snowflake developer programs, user groups, discussion channels, advocacy opportunities, and open source projects.
January Editor’s note: Felipe Hoffa
We take turns on compiling the monthly community updates — and since this is my month, let me add some notes before our usual update:
- We’ve seen many layoffs in the tech space — so I shared my thoughts for friends considering joining Snowflake.
- Following EXCLUDE/RENAME, Snowflake SQL now has MIN_BY and MAX_BY.
- I had a lot of fun meeting users and partners in Stockholm and Helsinki.
- I posted how to do IP geolocation for free with Snowflake and Maxmind.
- You should always be weary of biased benchmarks.
- Snowflake is about to become one of the top-10 databases according to DB-Engines.
- Thanks everyone for the phenomenal growth around our Snowflake communities.
- Join us on reddit.com/r/snowflake for all the best updates on Snowflake: We are now >5,499 subscribers.
- Bring your technical questions to the Snowflake tag on Stack Overflow. I’m proud to be the #3 Snowflake expert, surrounded by great Snowflake teammates and Super-Heroes.
- Due to the new administration, I’m less active on Twitter @felipehoffa, and experimenting on Mastodon Data @felipehoffa. Meanwhile you’ll find me most active on LinkedIn /hoffa.
Let’s continue on to the regular update:
Don’t build alone. Meet your peers at Snowflake User Groups
The previously announced Developers User Group Virtual Meeting on January 17 was moved to Jan 31. Join to learn all about Iceberg tables and interact with the co-creator of Apache Iceberg Ryan Blue. Other upcoming usergroup meetings are: Austin, Dallas, and Cyber Security
Find a chapter near you and join a local meeting at https://usergroups.snowflake.com/
New Quickstarts, release updates, and blog posts to help you build!
- Exploratory Data Analysis with Snowflake and Deepnote
- Seamless Machine Learning Workflows with Snowpark & Deepnote
- A Image Recognition App in Snowflake using Snowpark Python, PyTorch, Streamlit and OpenAI
- Getting Started with Keboola
- Suppress existing customers from a Youtube campaign with Hightouch and Snowflake
- Secure Crosswalks for Advertising Measurment
Perspectives from Data Superheroes
Dan Galavan: Plays with Snowflake and ChatGPT
❄️ Snowflake in a Nutshell — ChatGPT 🤖
Use ChatGPT as a coding assistant for the Snowflake Data Cloud via Visual Studio Code.
Debi Prasad Mishra: Row-lever security and access policies
Snowflake Row-level Security using Row Access Policies
A process of maintaining the security on row-level through the use of row access policies to determine which rows to…
Clark Perucho: Tuning queries
Snowflake: Query Tuning Guide
Before we dive into the steps of query optimization, it is important to ask ourselves this question: Why do I need to…
Congrats to our featured Data Superhero of the month:
Yohei Onishi is an active contributor to Snowflake’s Terraform projects and you can check out his blog posts here (for Japanese) or here (for English).
Meet our Data Superheroes and connect with them in the Community
Check out our Data Superheroes directory here
Watch and learn: Video demos, how-tos, and more
Calling all Snowflake developers, data scientists, and ML engineers! Our new Snowflake Developer YouTube channel is LIVE and features tutorials, tips, insights, and best practices on Snowflake and app development trends.
Welcome to the Snowflake Developers Channel, your source for product tips, demos, and tutorials created by builders…
Want to share your technical blog, video demo, or sample app with other Snowflake builders?
Please send it to us at email@example.com
Until next time…keep building!
Don’t forget to subscribe to reddit.com/r/snowflake and the Snowflake Developers Youtube channel.