Tabler of the Week: Sam Cicotello
Why Do We Have a Tabler of the Week?
We periodically interview one of our amazing co-workers to highlight on our culture blog. A great culture is 100% about the people that drive it. We come from different places, backgrounds, and experiences and all add a lot of spice to this workplace. This week, we recognize one of our own who has played a major part in making Social Tables what it is.
As you may already know, one of the only consistent things across startups is that we experience a great deal of change. From your company colors to your job title, from being a concept to being a product in a customer’s hands, the pace can be blistering and incredible to witness. Social Tables has rolled out new versions, refreshed our branding, and is experiencing yet another big change this week — our first ever, fierce, fearless Vice President of People, Sam Cicotello, is leaving Social Tables after over two years of dedicated service.
If you’re lucky, you’ve worked with someone like Sam: someone who leads not just with her title, but with her whole heart. If you have, you know it changes you. Sam has given of herself to Social Tables and the people who have depended on her in a way only she could. She has always been a culture carrier at Social Tables and her energy and love for all she does is infectious and inspiring. Sam embodies our core values and what’s more makes others feel valuable.
From giving sound advice to being a thoughtful sounding board, our whole team has grown tremendously under her guidance. Between her outrageous ideas, her commitment to developing and administering amazing programs, and her focus on hospitality in all aspects of the Tabler experience, Social Tables is a better place for having recruited her.
While we are sad to see her go, it’s impossible not to look back on her tenure and be in awe and wish her only the best. So take a moment to walk down memory lane with us as we review what just a few of her peers had to say about her departure. And to close: Thank you, Sam — from the bottom of our pink Converse.
- Congrats on a great tour of duty here at ST! You’ve had a huge impact on making ST an awesome place to work! — Rohit Kalkur
- Thank you for always having time to lend an ear to any management and/or team-building questions or ideas I have had. The validation and ideas you have given me has been truly valuable! — Jesse Colligan
- Sam — Thanks so much for taking the time to sit down with me when I first started, to do a pulse check and to give me a lay of the land and get me set up to succeed. Your guidance with managing people, and setting clear expectations with role cards has been tremendously helpful. And I so appreciated you taking the time to train me on quarterly reporting and the philosophy behind it (esp because no headlight was going to get in your way!). Everything you always shared has been framed so well and made murky situations much more clear. Context is king, and you’re the queen of context 😊 — Sent by Megan Mitzel
- Since day 1 you have welcomed me with comfort and understanding and have continued to act as such to this day. You will be truly missed as I wish you and your family all the best moving forward. — Wes Samuel
- It’s hard to even put into words just how great you are. I’m so glad I got to learn from you for as long as I did. From watching your great examples of how to be a cool mom or how to laugh at myself, or stand my ground, and most of all to hold tight to 29, you’re an absolute HR and overall people inspiration. I’m going to miss the hell out of you and will think of you every time I see a flower crown. Thanks for everything, Sam 😊 — Sarah Shepherd
- From gelato recommendations for my honeymoon in Italy to advice for tough discussions in the office — you’ve been helpful is so many ways. I truly hope our paths cross again! — Peter Loewenhagen
- Cheers for all of your hard work over the past couple years. You’ve been such a significant part of all of our experiences here and it won’t be the same without you around the office. Best wishes on your next move and please be sure to stay in touch! — Dave Howe
- Thank you for all the time, advice, and mentorship you’ve given to me over my year and change here at Social Tables! I know how valuable your time & expertise is and I cannot thank you enough for your willingness to share it with me. You’ve taught me a ton about organizational structure + behavior, management, leadership, and just people in general. (Peopplleeee **shakes fist angrily** 😊) Additionally, it’s inspiring to me as a growing leader to have had the opportunity to observe such a capable, competent, and thoughtful female presence on our staff team. Please know that all of your hard work and long hours (I think you were still here before me when I was coming in at 7:30 am) did not go unnoticed and both your work ethic, dedication, and general presence at this company will be sorely missed! Wishing you lots of light and laughter and time with your family 😊 — Danielle Miller
- Thanks for all that you’ve done for ST during your time here. You’ve helped to push me and challenged the way I think. Whenever I felt like I was in a position that left me stranded or with no clear direction you were available to listen, ask questions, offer advice, and uncover all of the possible paths forward. We’re fortunate to have systems in place that you kicked off and those processes will last long after your last day. Thanks again — go relax with your family! — Anonymous
- I appreciate you always making time to talk and truly caring about the people here at Social Tables. Thankful for your mentorship and honesty. We will miss you! — Sarah Currey
- Leaders have to make tough decisions. You are clearly a leader and example for all of us as we have to make our own tough decisions. Thank you for all the hard, often behind the scenes works that you have done over the last 2 years to keep ST running. Wouldn’t be where we are today without you! — Erin O’Boyle
- Thank you for all the professional guidance you’ve given me over the years. You’ve helped me become a much better manager and exec. I’ll miss you quite a bit and hope we cross paths again! — Will Henry
- On a scale from 1 to 10 for being an inspiration and devoted leader, you’re an 11. Thanks so much for caring about the well-being of this company and its people. I can say I’m a better person and professional because of the effort you’ve put into building this culture. You rock, Sam! 😊 — Anonymous
- Thank you for everything. You have committed to making sure ST was a better place everyday you have been here. Your wisdom and insight are invaluable. Wherever your next journey takes you, I hope you find boundless happiness and success.
- PS. Your check for rights to the ‘Cicotello Table’ is in the mail. Looking forward to seeing you in my lobby in 10 years, to renegotiate terms. — Logosou Kudayah
- Thank you for always being my sounding board & sanity check! I’m going to miss having you here at ST, but know that you’ve made a huge difference! — Lauren Burns
- Hey Sam! Wanted to thank you for all that you’ve done to make ST a really fantastic place to work. Steering the People ship is no small task (and definitely not easy during a time of such tremendous growth and change). Wishing all the best as you tackle your next career adventure! — Anonymous
- Thanks for coaching me today and thank you for your incredible support this week! — Dan Berger
- Happy ST2! I still think of you as “new” a little bit :) — Dan Berger