If SofaPlay doesn’t find your TV, Xbox or Media Device …
Learn what to do, if SofaPlay is not able to connect to your Smart TV, Xbox or Media Device
Before trying the troubleshooting steps below, check these basic things:
- First, please check if you use the latest version of SofaPlay. Open the App Store app on your Mac, then click Updates in the toolbar. If an SofaPlay update is available, click the Update button to download and install.
- Make sure your Mac and your media device are connected to the same network (or Wifi).
- Also check the network settings of your media device (Smart TV, Xbox …), look for error messages and perform a connection test if there is the option available.
- In the SofaPlay preferences (choose “SofaPlay” > “Preferences” in the menu bar on your Mac) toggle the setting “safe recently used devices” OFF and ON again.
If SofaPlay still doesn’t find your device, try the following troubleshooting steps:
Step 1: Try to connect to your Device using an IP address
If you know the IP address of your other device, you can try to establish a connection directly by entering the IP address:
- Start SofaPlay on your Mac
- Make sure the other device is connected to the network and look for the IP address (this should be visible in the network settings on your device)
- In SofaPlay, choose “File” > “Connect to a Device via IP Address …”.
- Enter the IP address (for example 192.168.0.1) of your device and click “Connect”
Step 2: Restart all your Devices
There is a possibility that one of the devices involved in the connection progress has encountered an error which can be fixed by restarting the device. If you are unsure what to do, please consult the manual of your devices.
- To eliminate potential causes why SofaPlay is unable to connect, you should restart your Mac, your media device (Smart TV, Xbox …) AND your (wireless-)router.
- Your router (and modem, if you have one) should restart automatically if you unplug and replug it from its power outlet.
- Some media devices (especially Smart TVs) are not really restarting when turning them OFF via the remote. You should also unplug and replug them from their power outlet.
Step 3: Check if UPnP is enabled in the Preferences of your Router
SofaPlay communicates with your media device using the UPnP protocol/standard. This is sometimes also called DLNA. Some routers/wifi access points have a setting to disable this protocol in the network.
Please check your router settings and make sure UPnP is enabled.
Step 4: When using an Xbox One / 360, enable PlayTo-Streaming in the Settings
In the Xbox Settings, streaming is called “PlayTo”. This feature has to be enabled in order to use SofaPlay with your Xbox. Here’s how:
Step 5 (Advanced Users): Use UPnP Analyzer to debug your Network
Our new app helps to get insights into your network and debug UPnP/DLNA Media Renderer devices. For advanced users, we are providing a new, separate app to inspect and analyze UPnP/DLNA network traffic and debug possible issues. The app is called UPnP Analzyer and it is available for free in the Mac App Store.