Liftoff! Meetups & All-Star Team Additions (July/August Newsletter)
Solana’s community is now over 50,000 strong! For some light reading, we’ve got silky smooth events and writings, and insanely talented new hires to get acquainted with.
Events & Conferences:
- 8/22, San Francisco: Dev Meetup: Learnings From Building A Layer-1 Infrastructure
- 8/17, Portland: 2018 RUST Conference
- 8/16, Portland: Dev Meetup with ZCash, Parity Tech, and Solana: Why RUST For Blockchain Development?
- 7/24–7/26, Hong Kong: Nifty Conference (Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), Blockchain Gaming + Collectibles)
- 7/23, Hong Kong: Alternative Scalability: Proof of History with Raj Gokal
- 7/19, San Francisco: Crossing the Crypto Chasm with Brave, Helium, Solana, Coinbase, Open Garden, and Orange SV
- Meet Solana’s Growing Team (7 min)
- Proof of History Explained by a Water Clock (4 min)
- Solana’s Network Architecture (4 min)
- Solana Milestone: A Multinode Testnet (3 min)
- Michael Vines: A mythically high-powered engineer from Qualcomm and a successful IoT startup.
- Hsin-Ju Chuang: The former Head of Growth for Stellar / Lightyear is now our Head of Growth!
- Jeff Levy: An ops generalist with a successful exit, and a storied career at Twitter and Google. Expert cocktail maker.
- Pankaj Garg: Pioneered LTE modem chipsets at Motorola and led bleeding edge efforts in Qualcomm’s Innovation Center.
- Tyera Eulberg: Senior software engineer with mad design skills. Captain of the USA Women’s Underwater Hockey team.
NEW RELEASE: v0.7.0
- Solana-wallet, a command-line application to interact with the testnet
- Solana-drone, a handy little tool to do testnet airdrops so that anyone can play
- Ubuntu “snap” packages to effortlessly spin up full nodes. Oh Snap!
- Fullnode deployment to Amazon Web Services and Google Compute Platform
- Added Windows support
- Network stability features: 1) Validator bring-up and auto-restart, 2) Block repair messaging, complete with exponential backoff, and 3) Erasure coding for on-the-fly repairs.
- Fixing any reported problems. Report any issues to the Solana Telegram channel when you test-drive our testnet…get into our GitHub!
- More nodes. We’re only making use of 2 tiers in our Avalanche architecture. We expect that to be at least 3 tiers by mainnet and with far more nodes at each tier.
- Laying the groundwork for our generic smart contracts platform. It’s going to be beautiful. We can’t wait to tell you more!
HAVEN’T JOINED YET?
We have a number of exciting announcements that’ll be coming down the pipe. Make sure to join the Solana Telegram channel to stay in the know.
Want to learn more about Solana?