3 Simple Hacks to Increase Your Productivity
Need a boost in your efficiency and effectiveness at work?
Whether you are part of a corporation, a consultant, a freelancer, or anything in-between, productivity can always be improved.
So how can you take advantage of the hours you’re given to work each day?
Or rather, what can you do to improve your chances of efficient and amazing work on a daily basis?
Here are 3 work hacks that will expel all unproductive behavior from your workspace:
1. Perform an 80/20 analysis of your work goals or tasks
If you’ve never heard of the Pareto principle, this is going to change everything for you.
This principle originally applied to the fact that 80% of Italy’s land belonged to only 20% of the population.
The principle has been adapted to apply to life, business, and career goals.
Generally, 80% of the great results we see from our work comes from only 20% of our efforts.
An 80/20 analysis can be performed by following these steps:
- Sit down with a piece of paper and a pen (yes, don’t do this digitally)
- Write down every single work goal you are working toward (long-term) or every task you need to accomplish on a given day (short-term).
- Determine which of these tasks are part of the 20% that contribute to real results.
- Eliminate the rest if possible, at least temporarily.
- Complete the “20% tasks”.
This method is highly effective. I personally plan out my days this way, and I feel that I am able to put in 80% more effort by doing the “20% tasks”.
2. Complete your hardest available task
This may sound counterintuitive to most. It’s not.
If you are familiar with “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, you know that it is not the URGENT tasks that provide the most value, but the IMPORTANT tasks.
These important tasks often come in the form of highly stressful projects.
If you buckle down and work on the thing you most dread first, you will bulldoze your way through it in record time.
By the end of it all, you will have completed the task you were least looking forward to, all while unleashing your creative juices and increasing your brain activity.
Pretty good deal, right?
3. Put Pomodoro into Practice
Now that you have the right tasks to work on, and you are resolved to complete the most difficult ones first, it’s time to think about timing.
The ideal timing method is the Pomodoro Technique.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Pick your next task and focus on it.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes.
- Hustle and work on that single task the entire 25 minutes, never breaking focus.
- When the timer expires, take a 5 minute break.
- Repeat until task is complete.
- Move on to the next task.
Productivity is not an impossible ambition. In fact, there are dozens of proven techniques for mastering your efficiency.
Give these a try and let me know if you don’t feel 80% more productive!