Business data induction 2022–11–01
Looking for analyst and research reports in Eikon and private company data in Orbis
Public company searches in Eikon
- A student requests a report which we don’t have access to, eg analyst reports, expensive market research research.
- We cannot use Order an Article service in these cases due to cost.
- We have Aftermarket Research (AMR) from Refinitiv which contains analyst reports. It is part of Refinitiv Eikon (and Workspace).
- We can look at using the Research Advanced Search (ADVRES) app in Eikon
We looked at the advanced search in Eikon with these features:
- Contributors including the following who are highly regarded: Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, GlobalData, MarketLine, UPS, Credit Suisse. (Some universities subscribe directly to GlobalData or MarketLine.)
- Search by Industry.
- Search by Countries/Regions.
- Search by Keywords: Boolean search in one of three fields: Document (full text), Table of Contents, Title.
- Date Range.
- Report Types: Company, Industry.
- Price and number of pages are often an indicator or quality (bigger is better).
- Try the Company Research feature if you are interested in one company.
- Try the Company Filings feature if you are looking for formal regulator documents such as annual reports or bankruptcy filing.
- We also looked at Financials > Segments for a breakdown by geography or business segment (eg Honda).
We have a video of the ADVRES process here (requires Manchester login).
Before any of this, search in Statista. If the content isn’t available, the researcher may have to modify their investigation/subject.
Private company searches in Orbis
We then looked for more detail on private companies in Orbis eg Red Bull GmbH.
We tried the following features in Orbis when looking at one company:
- Corporate Ownership, ownership structure
- Geographic footprint
- Key financials
- Peer comparison
- Directors, managers and advisors
- Practice using Aftermarket Research when answering enquiries which may benefit from the reports which we do not have anywhere else.