SPIN Talks episode 3: From corporate life to entrepreneurial life
You can watch the video here:
If you want to leave a corporate company and start your own business, make sure you work on something you are deeply passionate about and brings you true happiness. Leave a small mark on the world and always follow your heart.
There are a couple of things you should do before you decide to start your own business:
- Test your idea. You can do that by attending events such as Startup Weekend. During these events, you will have the chance to understand what creating something means and give you a “taste” of the entrepreneurial life and how everything comes together. Just dip your toes in and see if this type of business lifestyle is for you.
- Don’t give up your day job until you test your idea. Most likely your business will not take off from the start. Allow yourself time to get there.
- Find a partner to work with you. Doing everything by yourself is not fun.
- Learn new skills. The beauty is that you will have them for the rest of your life.
Being an entrepreneur is fun, however, it is not easy. What is the hardest aspect when it comes to working for yourself? Dee and John share their insight.
- Getting out of the house
- Work-life balance (a constant challenge)
- Importance of family life
When it comes to your product, their advice is to get your product out ASAP! If you are not embarrassed by your first prototype, you went too slow.
You need to adapt quickly, however, everything moves very slow. Actually, everything takes double the time you initially estimated.
One last piece of advice from them: if you have a true passion just do it. And do you know how you eat an elephant? Bit by bit.
Also, a great video everyone should watch before making the switch from a corporate life to an entrepreneurial one is Alan Watts — What if money was no object?
Thank you, Dee and John!