Season 2, Episode 1 — The Kraken
In the first official episode of Season Two, Brett and Greg sit down with Crystal Richards to hear her personal story of failure. This episode has a couple of plot twists, including the one where Crystal tells a second story!
The stories in this episode get to the root of many issues or failures: people and what happens when they release the Kraken. You must be prepared when they flip the script on you, whether it’s a colleague, client, manager, or partner.
“Sometimes you’re just that person that gets the wrath of people, and it’s about all that you can control is how you react.” — Crystal Richards
Listen to this episode to hear Crystal’s stories and her lessons on managing difficult situations and playing it cool when you’re under pressure.
- [3:00] Crystal’s first story about a missing projector begins
- [8:00] Brett is asks, “wait, what’s the failure here?”
- [10:30] Crystal dives into a story about a toxic manager who wants to play a game of telephone
- [14:00] We talk about the value of observing the situation before acting
- [16:00] Being your true self helps you to manage and diffuse situations
- [19:00] Crystal shares her favorite Maya Angelou quote, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
About our guest
Crystal J. Richards, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Crystal is the Principal and Owner of MindsparQ™, a talent development consulting firm dedicated to helping organizations better their teams’ skill sets in project management, communications, and leadership.
Crystal’s focus is to train people to be better project managers so they can consistently deliver projects with clarity, confidence, and courage. She maintains an online community on project management and better leadership practices. To learn more about the community, go to www.themindsparq.com/community.