Since I talked about Plasm at Sub0 Summit, the first Substrate conference hosted by Parity technologies, many people have asked me many questions about this product. In this article, I would like to describe our Plasm as easily as possible.
Plasm is a Substrate Runtime Module Library which allows developers to add Plasma functions to their Substrate chain quickly and seamlessly. Since Plasm is an SRML, developers can also make both plasma parent chains and plasma child chains with Substrate. In addition to that, we aim to be one of the parachains once Polkadot is launched.
Here is our GitHub. Feel free to check it and ask me if you have a question.
Introduction of Plasm
Plasm is a Substrate Runtime Module Library which allows developers to add Plasma functions to their Substrate chain. By adding a Plasm Substrate Runtime Module Library, you can get scalable blockchains within a few minutes.
Some people might not know Substrate Runtime Module Library. Basically speaking, Substrate consists of 2 components, Substrate Core and Substrate Runtime Module Library aka SRML. We can customize Substrate Core with SRML and make an original Substrate chain. (That’s awesome! If you would like to learn more about Substrate, check out this document.) Other people might not know Plasma. Plasma is a layer2 scaling solution which makes it possible for scalable computation by structuring economic incentives to operate the blockchain autonomously without the operator’s management. Ideally, it brings infinite scalability into your blockchain.
Based on the above, Plasm has some features.
- The first Rust implementation of Plasma SRML.
- Plasm is a simple but versatile SRML and makes it easier for developers to make a Plasma chain with Substrate.
- Plasm deals with many types of “Plasmas” in the future. Currently, we are providing UTXO models.
- Substrate chain can be both a plasma parent chain and a plasma child chain.
Since we are making an SRML, we can also make a Plasma chain with Substrate. Once Polkadot is launched, we will connect our root chain to Polkadot, and we aim to be one of the parachains.
In addition, Plasm makes it easier even for other developers to make a Plasma chain.
We have already made Plasma chains with Plasm and Substrate. Here are the demos!
2019/04/25 CLI Demo
2019/05/22 UI Demo No explanations yet. I will add asap.
Plasm Vision / Future Implementation
Since we founded our company, our vision has been
“Re-Build Digital Economy Where Everyone Belongs.”
Of course, the product that we make includes our vision and philosophy.
There are two backbone concepts behind of Plasm.
1. Decentralized governance without monopolies. The platformer(s) won’t supervise the ecosystem.
2. The transparency and fairness of wealth redistribution.
These are our proposal to update the existing capitalist society and our trial to achieve real democracy.
To make these happen, we have some milestones as follows.
- Connect our Plasm root chain to Polkadot.
- Deal with many types of Plasmas.
- Create modules everyone can make Plasma chains with.
- Automatic redistribution system by using the concept of Harberger Tax and Futarchy.
As Gavin Wood mentioned at Sub0 Summit, Plasma is a big opportunity in this ecosystem.
We are incredibly excited to see what the future holds and very happy to be a part of the community.
Thanks for reading.
Sota Watanabe（Twitter: @WatanabeSota）