This is the English translation of the tips we shared with people coming to StarsConf.
Talks and Workshops
- The schedule is published on the web site. You haven’t seen it yet? Check out timings, talks and workshops on http://www.starsconf.com/schedule.html
- As we usually do — and with the exception of keynotes and lightning talks — we’ll have talks in 3 parallel tracks. The central track (“Sala Fresno”) will have simultaneous translation, including Spanish-to-English translation when the current talk is in Spanish. There will also be one track with workshops (only in Spanish). Unlike previous editions, the rooms aren’t side-by-side so we recommend you to check out the room locations when you arrive at the event.
- Workshops and 5-minutes lightning talks (where anyone can present to the plenary of the conference) have limited capacity. Registration will happen during the event breaks at the StarsConf organization stand. For the lightning talks you will have to hand out your slides in PDF when you register your talk.
- Remember that this year the event will take place at the Centro de Extensión de la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (http://extension.uc.cl/), located at Alameda 390: https://goo.gl/maps/Ebn1Y1oDKBP2
- How to arrive? Prefer public transport, as it’s a busy and centric zone. If you come in subway, the venue is steps away from the Universidad Católica station. You can plan your route at http://www.transantiago.cl/planifica
- The venue has no parking space for people coming to the event. But there are other buildings with paid parking service in the surroundings.
- We have access for people with disabilities.
- Don’t forget your ticket. You must carry it printed or digital (in your smartphone).
- Check-in begins on Friday at 8 AM. It’s really worth it to arrive at 8, so you avoid long queues and enjoy the nice coffee we have to start the day. Also you will have time to figure out room locations and to ensure your spot in workshops or lightning talks.
- On check-in you will be given a credential and a bracelet: They are your way in to talks, coffee breaks and drink-ups, and will be required to come again on Saturday. Don’t try to remove your bracelet (or it will break) until the end of the event on Saturday night.
- If you bought a discounted student ticket, you will be asked for proof: Student transport card, University student card, Certificate of enrollment, or any other document that can certify you are actually a student. If you can’t prove it, we will ask you to pay the remaining amount in order to get a full ticket (as you are not entitled to the 50% ).
Breaks and drink-ups
- This time the venue is located at downtown, with a lot of restaurants and many options in the surroundings, so we won’t provide lunch. You can get to know some local classics like the “Fuente Alemana”, “La Terraza”, the “picadas” (good-return-for-the-money) de la calle Portugal, or the Bellavista and Lastarria neighborhoods. There are also options inside the venue of the event.
- During the other breaks (and at the beginning of each day) we will have coffee breaks and our sponsors will be waiting for you on the main hall with information, gifts and other interesting stuff.
- We also encourage you to get near your favorite speakers and ask them questions you couldn’t ask on the talk or simply talk about something else.
- We care about running things on time, as it’s a pretty packed schedule. Help us, taking note of the staff instructions when they direct you to walk towards the room in order to start a new block of talks on time.
- The drink-up — at the end of each day — is a free space so that everyone can talk around some always welcomed free beer. Enjoy it! If you don’t drink or you have to drive, don’t worry: We’ll also have alcohol-free beer.
Last but not least: The event has a code of conduct we all have to respect (not adhering to it can cause you to be shown the exit door). The code reflect the organization’s commitment to create an inclusive and enjoyable space for everyone. We’ll all have a great time on these intense 2 days that are coming!