Starting with SoundHelix -2 -What is it?
SoundHelix is a software package for creating MIDI arrangements with automatic variation. There are a number of auto-composition or auto-arrangement packages around, some free and some paid. I have used Jammer before, which has a composition feature for putting a musical band style to a base set of chords, but my version is old and won’t run on Win 7. Jammer has a nice GUI, but remains awkward to wring the best from.
- MIDI only — you will need a MIDI synth in hardware or software to hear the output
- Written in Java. You don’t need Java skills, but will need Java installed on your computer
- Programmed in text forms. Your arrangement exists in an XML file.
- Runs in a console window. There are a few controls you can apply while it runs, but no GUI or eye candy
- Not a normal installed package in Windows, you just download it and run the Java application
None of the above should put off a moderately savvy user of computers. It’s actually using it that might :)