Facebook Advertising Made Simple: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide [with updated FB Ad Placements and Creatives]
Facebook Campaign Structure
- One Campaign should meet a specific marketing goal i.e. Event Sign-ups and can have multiple Ad Sets
- One Ad Set can have Multiple Ads; Ad sets will have the same feature as your campaigns. If you turn an ad sets on or off, this will trigger all your ads sitting under the set to stop or continue working
3. The Ad sets will continue to define ads (creatives), audience, and bidding
Setting Up A Campaign & Monitor Performance
To set up an Ad campaign go to Business Manager then Ads Manager (previously Power Editor, but Facebook merged the two earlier this year)
[use Google Chrome, PE does not work well on Safari]
To review your running ad campaigns, go to Ads Reporting (see below); To create a new one, go to Adverts Manager (see above)
You can always duplicate existing campaigns and tailor them accordingly
Assuming you’ve already selected a campaign objective, let’s say traffic (see below),now it’s time to optimise the ad sets and the creatives
Start with at least 2–3 ad sets and multiple ads so that Facebook can optimise the creatives; Leave it for 24 hours, review the best-performing ad set and turn off the other ones
A) Targeting (=Audience)
- Broad = Worldwide audience
- Use “Audience Insights” to address affinity interests and competitor interests
- Create Lookalike Audiences (LAL) based on users’ activity such as page likes;
- Learn more about LAL audiences
1. Worldwide Audience
- Worldwide targeting is proving to be a very successful product for website conversion campaigns;
- It works great with Website Event Optimisation e.g. Complete Registration or Click to Links and Placement Optimisation (Feeds, Right Column, Messenger et al)
- With Worldwide Targeting, Facebook predicts the quality users which are most likely to convert;
- When creating ad sets, go to the location targeting field and choose one of the following:
a) Worldwide — deliver your ad globally
b) Region — select an area such as Europe
c) Free trade area — choose trade areas such as NAFTA
Please note that the target countries can highly affect the overall performance of your ad.
Targeting 1st Tier countries such as USA, Canada or UK will always result in a higher CPR rather than for 2nd or 3rd Tier countries!
2. Lookalike Audience (LAL)
- Go to Audience Insights to learn more about your audience
- In the Interest Tab type a competitor’s name or search for relevant keywords
- Ensure you have a fairly large audience size at this point >1K Monthly Active Users
- Go to Page Likes to see what Topics they engage with;
- Create a new audience based on a specific page/topic they liked
- Go to Audience (Under the Assets Tab) and choose “Create Audience” → “Saved Audience”
3. Custom Audience (LAL based on website visits)
- Alternatively, under the same tab “Audience” you can create a Custom Audience based on the people who visited your website
- To create LAL audiences, select the new audience you just created and click on “Lookalike Audience”
- Best practice: always select a set of 3 audiences with 1%, 1–2% and 3% of the total population you chose; where 1% being the closest match to your initial source;
- Depending on the sample size, it takes a few minutes and up to an hour to get the lookalike audience
B) Bidding & Schedule
You can choose between a Daily Budget and a Lifetime Budget. If it’s the first time you’re running a campaign, I recommend that you set a daily budget and an unlimited campaign duration, so that you can later edit the size of your daily budgets and pause the campaign whenever you see fit.
If you goal is to drive traffic to your website, then optimize your ad delivery for Link Clicks (=tangible results)
You may consider CPM (i.e. impressions) if you’re goal is to attract as many users on your page as possible. This requires constant monitoring.
Use the manual bidding if you know how much the results are worth to you e.g. $0.55.
Again, if you’ve never run a campaign before, then choose Automatic and keep an eye on your ad sets* for the next 24 hours. See which ad set performed best (lowest CPC), switch off the other sets and change to manual.
- Some ads can work great on mobile phones but not in desktop News-feeds.
- Create different ad sets for each placement, in order to understand which ones get more clicks.
- If you’re cross-sharing the ad on Instagram it’s recommended to disable it on Desktop.
- If you are not sure about the ad placement, choose “Automatic Display”.
More types of placement
Facebook Stories Ads
Everything You Need To Know About the New Facebook Stories Ads
Almost every social media platform has some variation of the "stories" feature now. Facebook Stories are full screen…
Messenger ads | Facebook Ads Help Center
Learn how to create a shop section for your Facebook business Page to list and sell products.
Facebook Live Ads
Facebook Live Ads: Everything You Need to Know
In my book, there are two things that make Facebook Ads the greatest PPC system available to us at this point in time…
***In-group FB Ads are being rolled out in the US***
- In Facebook, images are crucial. The right image can instantly increase your ads’ results by 20–30% or more.
- Square 1:1 images perform best and can also be cross-shared on Instagram
- Every campaign can have multiple advert sets (including different audiences, different budget).
- Every advert set can have multiples ads.
- Always create at least 3 ad sets (with different images), let them run for a couple of hours and pause the least performing ones
Avoid having too much text on the ad image — 20% Text — 80% Visual is a good ratio. If you want to check how much text is in your advert image use this Facebook Tool.
This is a guide which gives you everything that you need to get started today. Once you grasped the basics, you may want to know that there are plenty of other ways of optimising your campaigns or even editing your Ads without even touching the Ads manager simply by using an Excel Spreadsheet.
For mobile app advertising (especially B2C), you can take your targeting to a next level by using mobile attribution softwares such as AppsFlyer and Tune to identify your most profitable users, upload a .csv file to Facebook and create LAL audiences based on these customers. You can improve your users experience by using Deep Linking in App Ads after your SDK set up and adding app events to accurately track and measure your spend. for This story is for another time!
Now you know all of the basic terms and how to set up your first campaign.
If you liked the article, say thank you by 👏.
Got some more FB tips to share or you just discovered an exciting update? Write your thoughts in comments or drop me an email at email@example.com 📧 or reach out on LinkedIn and Twitter.