2. “I’m Fired?!?” — In 2007, I made the (scary) decision to “fire myself” as CEO of my own startup. [#BestDecisionEVER] Six months later, we had raised $950,000 in funding; a year later, we were a profitable 7-figure company… (full column)
3. Strengths, Weaknesses, and #SelfAwareness — I’ve recognized that I’m great at A FEW things… I’ve recognized that I SUCK AT MANY THINGS… and I’ve realized just how extreme the differences are (progress levels, success levels, stress levels, etc.) between the years I’ve had a team (co-founders, employees, interns) with skills complementary to mine vs. the years I haven’t! (full column)
3B. Wait… Time-Out… Who ARE You Anyway?!?
Oh, right… Hi, my name is Jeff. I was born in a small town in… (actually, maybe I’ll just skip to the relevant parts)…
My relatively unique experience/expertise is creating/evaluating viral concepts that reach/engage huge audiences (40+ viral ventures and counting; collective reach: 495+ Million)
[more at ViralWhatever.com]…
I’ve spent the last few years thinking about the many Problems & Pitfalls that lead to a ~99% failure rate for entrepreneurs/startups — [more at ThoughtsOnStartups.com]… and believe I have some Ideas & Initiatives for Improving that stat — [more at ReThinkingStartups.com]… and I plan to Practice what I Preach (our ReThinkingStartups.com strategies) via the launching of MANY new “Starter Startups” — ya know, assuming I ever get around to actually recruiting anyone to join me…
4. From a small JOKE to a Million-Dollar Startup — The Rejection Hotline / Humor Hotlines / RH Brands… #MyStartupStory
5. The Stomach-Punch Feeling of Losing 4.75 Million Dollars…
Some PERSONAL Epiphanies:
6) My INTP Epiphany
7) My A.D.D. Epiphany
8) My Battle with BURNOUT!
9a) My Entrepreneurial A.D.D. — Curse or Gift?
9b) 80% Done… (I’ll typically get 80% done — with almost anything I’m working on — and then my brain literally stops me from finishing/executing after the challenging part — and the dopamine-rush(!) — of solving a complex problem, conceiving a creative new concept with unique premises and innovative strategies, and working through multiple versions or drafts until the pieces all fall into place, the puzzle is solved, and… that dopamine-rush!!! I know it will sound absolutely ridiculous to some/most and might even be controversial or offensive to those who have battled drug-, alcohol-, or other addictions (which I do not mean it to be at all!!) … But, by virtue of creating many (50+) things that hit viral tipping points and took off to reach millions of people (and many similar experiences I can elaborate on elsewhere), I believe that I literally got myself “addicted” to my ideation process and the corresponding dopamine rush that my brain experienced with each success!!! [Perfect example — I could continue writing more now — or go back and proofread or edit what I’ve written above — but, very similar to what I was just writing about — once I’ve thought through whatever the big/main point/idea/insight is that I’m trying to write about, I often find it absolutely impossible to wrap it all up with a nice little conclusion or go back and proof-read… which is literally why I’ve got 100+ blog entries (many of which, I really think have some game-changing insight if i ever get around to sharing them), but that are still sitting on my laptop 80% done, and i always tell myself, i’ll go back and finish it up later, i’ll go back and proof-read later, i’ll go back and tighten it up / get it ready to actually publish… later… And later rarely ever comes, because my brain has moved on and I’m now hyper-focused on the text topic/idea/challenge/whatever…
[80% Done? → 80% D → 80-D → I am 80-D → I am AD-D → IamADD.com]
— 9c) An Open Letter / Thank You Note to Mark Suster — which (ironically? coincidentally? fittingly? embarrassingly?) has sat on my laptop, 80% DONE, for ~2 years!
[Editor’s Note: Make that 3 years.]
10. Speaking of my Entrepreneurial A.D.D. —